1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by diggerman, Nov 17, 2000.

1. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

I am having trouble coming up with a good safe heat source for the cab on my Agco Allis farm tractor.Whats the problem you ask, just run some hose an add a heater.Well if it was that easy thats what I would do,but this tractor is a Deutz style air cooled motor made by Sami.It has an extra alternator on it to drive an electric heater that comes factory with the cab,but it is very lame so I want to supplement it, any ideas.We have all had the laugh around the shop holding up the propane powered sunburst and saying"what about this",but the alternative needs to be safe and also controlable because the cab has little room for really hot heat sources.I ordered a 11,000btu electric heater from northern hydralic today but I am afraid it is not going to cut it,so I am looking for other ideas.
  2. jason2

jason2 PlowSite.com Veteran

Actually a propane fired heater might not be such a bad idea. An oil field contractor I used to work for had a propane fired heater in their Grove crane. They built a holder for the tank right behind the cab for the tank. Ran the line in through the back window and wired up a small heater to the inside of the roof. Looked kind of cheesy but worked great. They had a little inline regulator to control the heat. They also had this setup on a ditch witch trencher.
  3. jrblawncare

jrblawncare Senior Member

You know I was thinking along the same line.....I have a little heater that hooks up to bottle propane tank,used it in the ice fishing tent,small and it can be turn down low if you wish.Find a way to hold the bottle in place and of course vent so you don't fumigate yourself.
  4. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

coleman makes the black cat propane heater it has a controlable thermostat and it is cataylitic so no fumes Iuse one on my boat they sell for around $45.

they run off small cylinders but you can adapt the to 20 lb cylinders, they are also awesome for ice fishing shacks.....

good luck,stay warm.......
  5. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

I have looked at alot of crane heaters but I am afraid that there just isn't enough cab room to put one that isn,t going to catch a coat on fire or melt some interior plastic.I am hoping to find an electric one that will do the job