1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

heat from strobe and led bars.

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by bowtie_guy, Oct 10, 2009.

1. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

I'm still running a rotating mini light bar, during a snow storm the lens stays visible with no snow cover. I'm just wondering if a led or strobe bar will produce enough heat to stay clear as well??

Thinking about upgrading, don't plow with anyone running a led bar.

Thanks

2. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

our LED bars need brushed off from time to time.

3. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

ya leds dont really produce any heat so they wont clear themselves but strobes somewhat do

4. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Put some sort of "grease" on the bar. Maybe give it a light coat of Fluid Film? Just a thought.

5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

My strobes usually would remain clear (Whelen Edge), but the LED grille and deck lights will freeze over.

6. KL&M Snow Div.

Wouldn't having just a layer of ice on the light make them brighter anyways?

7. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

What makes you say that??

Anyway, Leds and strobes arnt going to melt any snow off. Just keep a brush in the back of the truck if you do change. LEDs are the way to go with a snowplow. You needs all the amps you can get.

8. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

if you have take downs they will melt the snow

i would not put grease or Fluid film on the lenses it will destory them

9. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

halogens will melt snow very fast as the constant heat releases the snow/ice from the lenses.

strobes will do it also. it takes longer because it is not constant heat but they produce a lot more heat then halogens.

LEDs produce heat but it take a much longer ammount of time due to the fact they dont draw a lot of power.

but any light output will melt ice/ snow b/c light is energy and energy creates heat. the more output energy the more heat.

so anything will melt the ice some just take longer than others.

10. KL&M Snow Div.

I know if I have ice on my back window it seems to brighten my L.E.D.s. I may just be seeing things, I bet its the distortion that the ice gives the light.

11. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Never had any snow build up on my Whelen Edge bar during a storm. My 06 is done up with all LED's however i would rather do that and maybe have to clean them off a couple times than do strobes again. Sure they are a little more expensive but they last longer, are VERY bright, and draw a heck of a lot less current than a strobe! I'm not downing strobes as they do work great, just my preference is LED's.