1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heard a CTD

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by HD61CUIN, Feb 2, 2002.

1. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

I was gassing up and heard this manual extend cab extended bed Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel. Looked like a 98-2000? This thing sounded like a big rig, like a Jake Brake when he was downshifting and all. Had a better sound than I am usually hearing. He had what looked like a Stainless Steel sewer pipe comming out the end big double tube rollbar with 6 KC's dual CB antennas hanging there too and a large brush bar on the front. So what did he have giving it that extra big rig sound. I have been looking at getting a Ram CTD for plowing due to its fuel econo and being able to run it as long as I want keepin' me warm while sleepin. What does that all do for performance and how much$$ are we talking?

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Sounds great doesnt it? The sound you like is as easy as removing the muffler,if your cheap,you can have a local shop make you a pipe,or buy it online for 63 dollars,you leave the resonator,so its not real loud,but sounds great.I removed my silencer ring from my turbo,a 2 minute job,this makes the turbo whine much louder,I love it,the exhaust brake runs around 600-900 +installation,as for performance,the CTD is the cheapest vehicle i have ever owned to modify,the engine is turned down so much for Dodge's applications,that modifing it is simply turning it back up to specs for a marine engine (up to 370Hp),or motor home for the 24valve(275/660)You can literally have 400 hp+ at the wheels for around 2000 on a 24 valve,this engine will live at that power level,thats the best part,as you already heard it is a truck engine,and is built internally extremely strong,like twice as beefy as the next heaviest engine in a pickup.Once you own a Modified CTD,all other engine seem very weak by comparison.I test drove a new Duramax a few months back,and while it was a beatiful truck,it literally felt like a gutless wonder,I couldnt believe how weak it felt.The salesman kept telling me how fast it was,after driving the modified CTD every day,you get used to it,and the 300hp Duramax truely fely slow,although I know it isnt,its a very good running truck,this was not meant to degrade the duramax,(its a sweet truck)but thats the only other new (HD)truck ive driven in a while to compare it to.

3. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Not too familiar with CTD, I am thinking of getting one. Where can you learn about the performance items that you just talked about. As well as any other info on them?

4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

http://www.tstproducts.com/

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran