1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Health Insurance ???

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Sno4U, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Does every one here have Health Insurance?
    I used to be able to afford it, but I recently lost my policy. I cannot afford it.
    Major Medical only/no dental/eye care, $512/mo. w/ $1000 deductible

My wife works part time outside the home but they don't provide any benefits.

What do U all do?
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Raise your deductible and your premium will go down. I have either a $3000 or $3500 deductible (not sure) and my premium is $380/month. That's for my two kids, my wife and myself.

Can't complain about that...
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I know this doesn't help you: Retired federal employee - $134.66/mo BC/BS. One of the benefits of putting up with it all for 32 years while others in my situation kept telling me how much more they were making than me and the more interesting jobs, etc.
  4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Just me $750/month
  5. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

Raise your deductible and shop around. I have only major medical on me and my 5 kids (wife is uninsurable due to health problems) and I pay $351.00 mo.You can not go without it.

6. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

47.00 per month. 5000.00 deductible. Humana One. Just myself. wife has hers from work. It is getting to the point for most that the only option is to go without. Do they cover mental sickness and anguish for paying the premium as a new condition or was it preexisting?:rolleyes:
  7. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

All of our snow equipment is cheap compared to the premiums.
  8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Check your state website they may have a low income plan. Because us snowplowers don't make any money.In NY they have this and a family plan was somewhere around 275.00 a month. I was looking into this before the wife got a job with bennies.
  9. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

The insurance I HAD was state they call it HIRSHP (High Risk State Health Plan). I have a prexisting, chronic health "issue". I couldn't find anyone else who would insure me. That $512/mo. was just for me. Wife & 2 girls are very healthy! Maybe I should be the 1 at home and THEy should be working??!! J/K! ..not brought up that way.
    Anyhow, at this point waiting to do our taxes and we may be able to qualify (the whole family) under a new health plan they have. They actually consider your income and if you still earn a little over the accepted amount to qualify you pay an "adjusted premium" rather than being turned down completely.
    It just kinda PO's me (and I'm sure alot of other people) for what you spend on health insurance these days you could buy a very nice car /truck or maybe pay your rent or a small house payment.
  10. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Yes check with the state we have a plan called HIP in Indiana. I personally have Anthem runs me about 200.00 a month it is a individual plan. You definately need insurance. I told a story about my father here years ago. Him and my mother was looking for ways to save money. My father says drop me off your insurance I don't ever go to the doctor. My mother did not take him off her policy 6 days later he dropped in the bath tub and could not get up his large intestents ripped and was pumping his system full of his own waste instead or removing it. He ended up with sepsus and was in the critical care unit for over 80 days we did not know if he was going to live or die. He eventually made it out of the hospital he layed in that bed so long in a coma that he had to learn how to walk again and after it was all said and done his hospital bill topped 400 thousand dollars. My mom and dad paid 2 thousand. I pay my health insurance premium before I eat every month.

11. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Great story RCGM. Ya just never know whats around the corner for ya!
  12. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

My wife and I have an HSA through Golden Rule. Premium is $313, but that includes $100 of it going into an account. So premium is $213. Deductable is $4k.

The account is used to pay for stuff. Anything medical, dental, etc.

Kids are on a very good state program.
  13. Glesjw

Glesjw Junior Member

Sno4U posted about state insurance?

I don't know if I can pm someone, or what not, but Sno4U is from Wisconsin, as am I, and I am wonderring how to find out more about that.

Is anyone eligable?

I'm a 20 year old single male, and have done snow removal for the past two Winters, and are looking to do it on my own this comming Winter possibly.

I don't have health insurance, I haven't for prolly close to a year now, because I can't afford it.

How can I find out more about this state insurance?

14. truckermatt

truckermatt Junior Member

i'm 22, not married and have a 1000 deductible/$5000 max/year PPO plan for $65/month......
    anthem bc/bs
  15. Glesjw

Glesjw Junior Member

I'd like to stay around $100.00, with health insurance, optical, and dental, but I don't know where to go for that.

What plan do you have Trucker?
  16. truckermatt

just got to anthem.com and start a quote..

for medical i have the blue access economy plan..... i chose not to have dental right now, because its cheaper to just pay cash, (i get a discount when i pay in full)

other wise its $25/month.....
    not sure on vision

good luck..... btw its matt
  17. Glesjw

Glesjw Junior Member

Kinda wish PlowSite would let you PM people, or maybe you can, and it's just not there.

Hit me an e-mail Matt. glesjw@hotmail.com

18. truckermatt

e-mail sent