1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Health insurance

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by bsuds, Mar 11, 2010.

1. bsuds

bsuds Senior Member

I'm in the market for health insurance. If you guys buy your own, do you have any advice on where to start. I have looked on the Internet and don't trust buying a plan at point and click. I would call and insurance agent, but I feel they are going to try to up sell me on crap I don't need. Where did you guys get yours?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

How poor are you? Does your state off insurance?
    Check with your Chamber of Commerce also.
    Call your doctor and ask what are a couple of insurance companies out there.

3. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Insurance agents are the same as used car salesmen nothing more. Friends wife has a job at walgreens just for the medical insurance. Don't know if thats an option just throwing it out there.
    Can't help any more then that my is 100% employer paid.

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

what kind of Health ins, PPO, HMO or only catastrophic

5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I used ehealthinsurance.com to find the plan I wanted and then I found a local agent to do the application. It was the same price online as it was in person.

For the last 8 years I had Blue Cross Blue Shield and they slowly got worse and worse. I decided to switch companies in January because BXBS wouldn't cover some medication that my doctor prescribed for a sinus infection. I was really upset with them so I found another company.

6. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

In NY,we have 6 of last count health ins. companies sanctioned by the government known as Healthy NY.I have one of those companies called GHI HMO--been pretty good the last 6 years.It's meant for a small business owner who meets certain criteria financially.I'll bet your state has something similar.

7. MikeLawnSnowLLC

MikeLawnSnowLLC Senior Member

I have humana I pay 180 a month with dental coverage and low deductibles overall I'm happy with it.

8. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

$180 for just yourself?

9. tuney443

Curious--what does low mean to you?

10. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

depends on how old and how healthy (or not) you are?
    individual or company or company of one?

in your 20's, male, no family, a high deductible catastrophic plan (which don't worry, is all you're going to be able to afford) is $100/month in CO (plus or minus)

In your early 40's, that same policy is $250 to $300/month

honestly Colorado is cheap compared to many back east states.

11. tuney443

I was asking Mike what low meant to him,referring to his low deductibles statement.