1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heads Up regarding Independent Contractors

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Deershack, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

A recent article in the local paper detailed the Federal and State's investigation of the mis-use of classifying workers as ICs rather then employees. It states that both the Fed's and several States are looking closely at businesses that use ICs.

One of the big things about if someone is truly a IC appears to be the amount of direction they receive, if they get paid by the hour or by the job and if there is an expectation that the work relationship will continue indefinitely(not defined). Apparently that would show intent to create a employee-employer relationship.

It might be good to review your relationship with your crews.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

And how many guys on here try and past their workers off as IC's?

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I do...........!

4. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

The States and the Feds will apparently share info on those claiming to use ICs. The intent seems to be to stop people from avoiding unemployment insurance taxes, workers comp and other taxes because it puts those who do pay those taxes at a disadvantage and of course the BIG reason, the States and Feds don't get their tax revenue. Apparently the cooperation includes the Labor Dept., IRS and the various States, to do "many more" investigations and " educational outreach to employers will be beefed up".

5. zackman

zackman Member

Is that online anywhere? I would like to read it..

6. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

You will find it in the St.Paul Pioneer Press. It was on page 11A of the 9-20-11 edition. There was another article in the same paper today about the IRS offering amnesty to those who clear up their records.

7. zackman

zackman Member

thanks for info deershack

8. zackman

zackman Member

9. 04ram1500

04ram1500 Member

I heard about this plan on my local news the other day. Apparently PA is in on it also. :mad:

10. bieriewk

bieriewk Member

My employees are all IC, I pay them by the job, not hourly, and have them sign a contract that states explicitly that they are independent contractors.

11. grandview

what they sign and what they do are 2 different things. At the beginning of the season do you have a mandatory meeting to discuss what is expected of them and their duties?

12. bieriewk

bieriewk Member

I spend time with each one individually going over the areas they will be handling and any others they might do, I leave it up to each team driver and shoveler to determine who is picking who up, I do a wide variety of types of properties with different levels of service, each team knows what to do. Maybe I'm just blessed with good guys who work for me :shrug:

13. grandview

Independent Contractor Defined

People such as doctors, dentists, veterinarians, lawyers, accountants, contractors, subcontractors, public stenographers, or auctioneers who are in an independent trade, business, or profession in which they offer their services to the general public are generally independent contractors. However, whether these people are independent contractors or employees depends on the facts in each case. The general rule is that an individual is an independent contractor if the payer has the right to control or direct only the result of the work and not what will be done and how it will be done. The earnings of a person who is working as an independent contractor are subject to Self-Employment Tax.

If you are an independent contractor, you are self-employed. To find out what your tax obligations are, visit the Self-Employed Tax Center.

You are not an independent contractor if you perform services that can be controlled by an employer (what will be done and how it will be done). This applies even if you are given freedom of action. What matters is that the employer has the legal right to control the details of how the services are performed.

If an employer-employee relationship exists (regardless of what the relationship is called), you are not an independent contractor and your earnings are generally not subject to Medicare and Social Security Taxes for Self-Employed.

However, your earnings as an employee may be subject to Self-Employment Tax.

For more information on determining whether you are an independent contractor or an employee, refer to the section on Independent Contractors or Employees

14. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

I have posted the same thing on the ohio links on this forum. there is a 20 question list that is used by the state and Fed to find out who is an IC. proper paperwork is also a key. according to my state tax people this is ALL they are doing this year and in the future. (remeber most state and FEd are trying to find more money)

be careful....

15. grandview

If you were to compare apples to apples on this how much are you really saving? And if they do audit you ,you'll spend more on lawyers and accounts then what you saved.

16. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

that depend on what you call and IC, someone with their own truck or someone you put in your truck,

folks you put in your trucks to me are employees, but if they have their own truck should be and IC, some state tax people want to classify them as employees, which to me is BS,

According to my accountant there has to be an element of loss to the IC, such as breakdown, if an IC plows per job rather than per hour etc..

17. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Great, I'm sure the IRS gives a flying rip about what your employees sign.

Funny too, you call your employees ICs. You just admitted they were employees. On the 'net, where anybody can see it.

Do they use their equipment or yours?

It isn't the employees who care how they are paid or classified, it's the government. I hope you have a CPA and a lawyer who OK'ed your setup and on retainer.

18. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Many FedEx Ground contractors have been going at it in court with FedEx over the definition of IC. If I understand it correctly, they think FedEx treats them like employees? I don't think the Contractors have won a court case yet. Just one big example of how the courts are treating this business relationship.

19. zackman

zackman Member

How many of you guys have employees or IC ??

20. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

When I sign a contract to service a property with salt, I obligate myself, by contract, to do so within a certain period of time or in some cases before a certain time. If I hire someone to do this work and instruct them to honor the contract language, I don't see how they can be considered an IC, since I am directing them when and how do complete the service. It's not open ended, for example - sometime in the next week- or before the next snow-. I and the client expect the contract to be followed.