1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

headlights

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Detroitdan, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

My low beams are really dim, can't tell if the chrome inside is getting dull or if it's a bulb issue, they are very old. I have Silverstars in the high beams, as well as the all-4-on-high mod. The highbeams are pretty bright, although the aim is way off, and my adjusters don't seem to work very well. My question is, should I:
    a) replace my low beams with Silverstars also?(they seem to be the best of the aftermarket lights)
    or
    b) how about replacing the headlights with some of those diamond cut or projector style lights? Anyone tried them?

I think it would be a bit cheaper obviously to change just the low beam bulbs, and I can polich the outside of the lenses, but as for the inside nothing can be done. Just wondering if those aftermarket headlight housings are any better than a factory light.

Oh yeah, it's on my 97, 4 headlight composite style.

2. MAGNUM SERVICES

MAGNUM SERVICES Member

I have a 96 GMC Sierra 2500 with the same headlights. I replaced both sides and the adjustment brackets behind them as they were broken from someone turning the wrong screws trying to adjust them. I have full coverage insurance on my truck and in Kentucky they are required to replace them as a safety item like a broken windshield. I think the lenses and brackets installed cost my insurance company around $500.00 with NO deductible to me. The lights came from the Chev. dealer and were direct replacements with all four bulbs included. They made a world of difference at night.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  3. Detroitdan

I replaced one several years ago because it had acrack and got all rusty and corroded inside. Think I got it off ebay pretty cheap. Didn't notice any difference ove the other side which was a few years old, and now I can't even tell which is which.

I'm just curious if those projector or diamond cut ones are any better than stock, or if they are just for looks.

4. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

These are what I got for my truck. They are definitely waaay brighter than my old yellow faded stock lenses, couldn't tell ya how they are compared to a brand new stock lense. I bought the combo with new turn signals too so my headlights didn't stick out like a sore thumb on top of the old signal lenses. So far I like them and they haven't even started to collect condensation like most cheaper lights do.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-9...m14&_trkparms=72:543|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

5. Detroitdan

Thanks for the info, those are the ones I was looking at. I drive a lot at night and my lights are just unsatisfactory. I'd rather not go with fog lights o driving lights, I've been that route and I'll probably just bust them up plowing anyway.