1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Headlights???

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Schnabel Plowin, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Schnabel Plowin

Schnabel Plowin Senior Member

Everything on the truck and plow are working except the headlights. I have the correct adapters for the truck and I think I've tried every different combination of "a"/"b" "truck"/"plow" switches there is. I have clicked each relay open with a small battery and they all click. What is the correct configuration of both the adapters "a"/"b"?

The truck is a 2006 chevy 2500hd 6.6L. When I plug in the adapters, it takes out my truck headlights as well as no plowlights. Truck works fine when I set it back to stock. Help?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

All connectors need to be on the "A" side.

3. Schnabel Plowin

So I got all the lights hooked up and spliced in the turns and everything worked. When I went to hook up the plow, all the lighting worked. But when I put it in float to use the smart hitch, it wouldn't move and the solenoid just clicked on and off. So I went through and unplugged all my light adapters and unspliced everything and it is still just getting the solenoid click. I'm at a loss and we are getting snow tonight.

Oh, and when the lights were still hooked up and the plow was not working, whenever I put the controller to a position the driver side turn light would light up, but still no plow.

Really need help here guys if anyone has some advice. So far I've checked the fuses, grounds and powers, as well as the connection from the truck to the plow. Nothing on the plow side is working.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Don't know the history on the plow or the harness but it sounds like a poor connection issue. Make sure all your power and ground connections are connected to the right places (battery, underhood relay etc) and make sure the power cable plug at the bumper is making a good connection.

Then jump the underhood solenoid to see if the pump will run.

5. Schnabel Plowin

When I jump the under hood solenoid it clicks on but does not run the plow. The plow worked 100% perfectly before I added the headlight adapters.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you're jumping the two larger post on the solenoid with a set of jumper cables and the pump isn't running then either the power or ground cable connections at the battery aren't good, the connection at the bumper plug isn't good, the power or ground cables at the pump motor aren't good or the motor is bad. They're the only possibilities.

It has nothing to do with the lighting work you did. Because when you jump the solenoid you're bypassing EVERYTHING but the power cable connections and the motor itself.

7. Schnabel Plowin

Okay thank you b&b. Found the problem. It was a bad ground I guess. As soon as I found the problem however, my truck starter crapped out on me. It has been one of those days this whole day.

Thanks again for your helpfulness!!!!

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Great it's working but don't guess you fixed it, be sure. Otherwise and as I'm sure you already know, what you think is "fixed" will come back to bite you in the butt later so be sure to go over everything with a fine tooth comb making any upgrades as necessary as soon as you have time. Nothing worse than a piece of equipment that isn't dependable.

Good luck and you're welcome.