1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

headlights

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by wild bill, Mar 12, 2011.

1. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

is there any way to turn the head light's on a 2001 2500hd chevy till it starts and then turn them back on after it starts to decrease the current draw till it is running ?kinda like the older style before daytime running lights and such .:help:

2. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I remember on my 01 silverado if depress the parking brake when off then start it kees your DRL's off untill you release the parking brake. This might work.

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

lights

i will look at that but the primary intrest was the head lights ,i know when they first came out with drl"s it was fun hooking up a plow and getting the light's to work right i think it was about 1994 i was messing with western then .Thumbs Up

4. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Putting the E-Brake on before starting will keep the lights off until released.....Simple ...

5. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

I'm pretty sure that in "Start" mode that they are not on. They'll go on when you put the key into run, go off while in start, and back on when in run.

If that's not the case, put the key in run, turn the headlight switch left to turn them off, then start the truck.

6. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

My 2000's headlights turn on when the key is turned to on and they stay on while starting if its dark enough to trip the light sensor for the suto headlamps. DRL's do not come on until you put your truck in gear (though I'm not sure what the stickshifts do...probably on at all times?). To keep your lights off while starting, just set the e-brake and they won't come on until you release it.

If you're having trouble with not enough current while starting because your headlights are on, you might want to get your battery and/or alternator checked. No way should this be a problem unless you're running some other high current device off the battery as well.

7. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I'll repeat it ....
    Putting the E-Brake on before starting will keep the lights off until released.....Simple ...