1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Headlights when driving and plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by b2driver, Oct 31, 2004.

1. b2driver

b2driver Member
    from MD

Do you guys have your headlights on while driving with the plow up or just use the plow lights? What about when plowing?

Just wondering what the norm is.

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Most plow systems today are designed so that when you attach the plow and hook up the electrical the headlights will switch over to the plow lights. As for plowing with the headlights on, that depends on the situation, I will plow with just the marker lights in a very low traffic area or in a confined area where no one will be bothering me or i will see someone coming. Otherwise, i leave the headlights on as a way to get others attention, the more you can be seen, the less chance of a problem.

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I have a switch that lets me choose between plow lights or vehicle lights. When the plow is on, I always have the plow lights on because the truck lights don't show over the plow when it's up. Sometimes if I'm plowing in a big lot at night and nobody is around, I'll just have my lightbar on to save on the alternator.

4. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

The truck lights on with the plow is not very beneficial because a lot of light is reflected back at you off the top of the moldboard, and any snow of mist in the air over your hood can make it very difficult to see out ahead of you.