1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Headlights too low

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by MassSteelerfan, Jan 3, 2009.

1. MassSteelerfan

MassSteelerfan Junior Member
    from Mass

does anyone else have the problem of when driving with plow up that the headlights are hitting the back of plow blade? I was thinking of putting a spacer to lift height of plow. Just wondering if anyone else has had problem and if so how they delt with it. Thanks in advance
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Boss plow lights were never that good.
  3. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

My plow lights are never in the correct position . Reason being , ballast fluxuations from dispersing salt . Start out with 2.5 ton and the lights are in the sky . By the end of a storm they're where they should be . You'll need to find a happy medium .
  4. MassSteelerfan

MassSteelerfan Junior Member
    from Mass

I love the plow other than that but the lights just hit the back of plow when transporting from job to job and can't see road, actually get a glare off back of plow which makes it worse. i have noticed some extra threads on bolt and thought a spacer may rise it enough to bring headlights over plow.
  5. peterk800xc

peterk800xc Senior Member

Just lower the blade alittle-works for me!ussmileyflag
  6. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

try aiming them up just alittle
    mine just barley reflect off the top of my snofoil before that they didnt reflect at all
    you could space them up but they'd be more likely to break off i think
    just lower the blade a couple inches if its really bad
  7. Jon Schuler

Jon Schuler Member

We end up adjusting them a couple times a year, not that tough, even if you do it outside. Ticks you off when you can see better with the truck lights switched on, huh?
  8. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

low lights

you could just make extension bracket's , but boss made some part #msc03684 they are sold each .i put some on mt hd chevy and they made a difference . :salute:
  9. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

All that still doesn't alleviate the ballast fluctuation issue.
  10. jmann

jmann Junior Member

I have the same problem. Lights end up down and reflect off of the back of the plow. After ajustment I ended up painting the back of the plow mat black. Minimzes glare.
  11. Runner

Runner Senior Member

THERE'S the right idea! It is ALOT easier on the eyes, and much safer, as well.
  12. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know what set up or whatever you have but on my plow the bar that the lights are mounted on can be rotated to aim the lights up or down. I have the newer quick mount style if that means anything to anyone. Just rotate the entire bar so the lights aim where you want them.
  13. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I don't think it is where they are aimed as much as the actual height of the light itself to the height of the top of the plow.
  14. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

I drop the blade a little. You can raise the lights if thats what you are asking
  15. alternative

alternative PlowSite.com Addict

my light bar/frame itself seems as if it is not setting level. The lights are pointed down to the ground?? Should it be level? If so, whats my problem.
  16. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

Added some lights.
    Wired to truck with extension cord plugs.

17. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Load assist air bags in the rear help the ballast fluctuation issue.....
  18. millsap

millsap Junior Member
    from CO

lights on boss

I just got a boss with a quick mount, and can hardly transport at nite without lowering the blade to a point of nervousness. The lights are adjusted all the way up. Can you tell me how you "rotate the entire bar"? Any ideas apprecaited!
  19. mnguy

mnguy Member

Yeah same prob I have a dodge 2500 with a boss 8 ft heavy duty. When I travel I have to drop the blade about a foot or more. The height of the lights are to low!! I liked my Hiniker better
  20. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I never have this problem with my 9' 2" V-XT unless I am plowing and the wings are moving around. In transport mode, I can see fine, just had to re-aim the lights some. I have the SmartLight2s btw.

Are you guys with the issues running straights?