1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Headlights quit on a dodge ram

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Southside Lawn, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Southside Lawn

Southside Lawn Junior Member

I've got a 07 Dodge Ram and the headlights just quit working. Everything was going good and my plow lights flickered then quit working. I tried to switch back to truck lights and they wouldn't't work either. I shut the truck off turned it back on and the lights worked again but only for a few seconds. I tried both plow and truck lights with the same result every time I shut truck down, restart it and they work for a matter of seconds flickering each time before they shut off. I disconnected the plow and truck lights work perfectly, plug it back in a same problem. I let the truck sit for about 2 hours, went back to plowing and lights stayed on for approx 2.5 more hours with no problems. What do I check now especially when everything seems to be working? We've got a monster storm brewing and it's gonna suck with no lights if they (when) quit again. I'm open for ideas, I have bought 4 relay's to replace all of them in wiring (plow) harness. I can't seem to find the relay for my truck headlights. I looked in the fuse panel but it has no relays in it. Just not sure where to go from here. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. MNcasper

MNcasper Junior Member

The relay pack is mounted under the hood, most likely on drivers side to the inner fender. If you follow the attached link you can find the installation/owners manual for your plow. To me it sounds like a relay is over heating but whether or not that is due to bad relay I dunno. I'm sure B&B will be with you shortly Good luck!
    http://service.bossplow.com/

3. Southside Lawn

Southside Lawn Junior Member

I have found the relays for the plow wiring harness (4 of them), the one I can't locate is the truck relays, I'm not sure if the truck is the problem or the plow. I'm probably reaching a bit, but can my plow cause the trucks relays to overheat or go bad? Once the plow was disconnected the truck headlights stayed on. Again I did have to turn the key off and restart to get my lights back on and this was immediatly after they had turned off.

4. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

the truck lights are controlled by a computer and when the computer sense to much of a load it shuts the lights off. I would have to say that the plow is pulling to much voltage. If the lights stay on for 2 hours I would guess that the plow lights or wiring are getting warm and drawing to much power.

5. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Starting in '06 the Ram headlights no longer have relays or fuses and are controlled soley by the TIPM (Total Integrated Power Module) . I'm not sure if/when they may have changed this design again but I'd assume '07 is the same. A couple years ago, I had problems similar to yours until one of the headlights stopped working completely due to a faulty/blown TIPM. They said it was caused by poor connections ( non-waterproof connections where the plow lights were tapped into the trucks wiring) and the $800 TIPM had to be replaced. Whether or not this is your problem I would verify that the connectors used to splice into your headlights are indeed waterproof and protected. The reason the lights would work intermittently was because they would get wet and the TIPM would shut them down ... until it finally blew. I would recommend heat shrinks. Something to check at least ... perhaps.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Mopard has it. It's either a defective TIPM or a weak connection in the headlamps wiring (13 pin plug probably) causing excessive resistance that the TIPM "feels" and thus shuts down the system. Go over all connections first before simply replacing the TIPM as it's not an inexpensive component to shotgun with.

7. heavyequipment

heavyequipment Junior Member

easy fix

Hi,
    I bought a boss 8.2 v-plow for my 2010 dodge. I had the same problem you are having. They told me that the plow lights draw more power than the regular head lights. I would take it to where you bought it. They make adapters for it that fixes the problem.
    Sean

8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

You can have your TIPM reflashed. $75. If you argue somewhat hard it'll be warranty.

I've got 3 trucks (2) '06 2500 and 1 '07 3500.

Tell them that Dodge screwed up and it's Dodge's fault because you by the truck for plowing services and they can't handle a plow. They can reset the TIPM to handle more power.

If the truck has snow plow prep it's supposed to already be upped in the amount of power draw to the headlights, but it's not the case totally, as my '07 3500 has snow plow prep, but would keep dropping the headlights.

One other thing. If you've got a newer Boss with the dual burn feature, another thing that'll help would be to unhook the white with red strip wire and elimate the dual burn.