1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

headlights move plow - short?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by badgerb, Jun 22, 2009.

1. badgerb

badgerb Junior Member
    from NH

Looking for some help with troubleshooting an electrical issue. I have a preowned truck that came with the plow, I can describe what I think I have, but part of my proplem is matching what I have with Fisher docs...

2001 Dodge Ram 3500
    9' LD plow
    wire harness in truck has 4 individual relays i.e. not the iso modules approach
    plow worked fine last winter
    did some mechanical work on plow (new edge, base angle, springs etc)
    went to test...

all works well with plow, but when I turn the headlights on, the plow moves! So I assume I've introduced some sort of short by accidently knocking a bad wire/connector etc. Only the main headlights cause an issue - parking lights and directionals work fine.

I also did some work under the hood (re-did ground connections for plow as well as dump body etc). So I'm now not sure if problem/short is under hood or part of plow?

Looking for some help with where to start? Has anyone seen this issue before?
  2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

WOW, thats a good trick, when you figured out how you did it let me know!!!!

This shouldnt make it do what its doing but the first thing to come to mind is that you moved the orange/black wire to the positive side of the battery instead of back to the negative when you cleaning up connections. Otherwise check the grill connectors for corrosion, worn, and burnt pins. Trace the harness for broken or pinched wires.

try this for the schmatics

Page 63 should be for your truck, page 49 is a reference for the grill connectors and what pin does what function.