1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

headlights flicker

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Greenstar lawn, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Greenstar lawn

Greenstar lawn Senior Member

So Im driving down the road and my trucks headlights start to flicker. So I get home and hear a clicking noise coming from my modular. Every time it clicks my headlights flicker. Could I need a new modular?

2. Greenstar lawn

I should say this is a 4 port module and it's a 2004 Chevy 2500hd

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

It may just be a loose connection at a plug or fuse. Look first at the motor relay. Should be a small wire on one of the big lugs. This provides power to the isolation module. May be corroded or loose. I'f that's good go by the isolation module and find the two fuses under a black cover. Make sure they are seated properly. Then check all four plugs in the isolation module. Unplug each and examine the pins for corrosion, broken pins etc. then maybe consider an isolation module swap.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Also Ck your grill connectors, wiggle them with the lights on and see what happens.

5. Greenstar lawn

Now only the passenger headlight works? I'm gonna do what you said nick and see how it goes.

Diesel-- I've done that and nothing happens?

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ok. Just saying. K.I.S.S keep it simple stupid.
    Ck at the headlight connectors truckside as well

7. mishnick

It's not grill plug or ign wire or the controller power would shut off every time they broke connection. It's just the lights right, the power doesn't shut off does it?

8. Greenstar lawn

It's just the lights

9. mishnick

You never did say what kind of plow you have... The four port module was used for the early wide-outs and MVP+ with two plugs at the grill. Will be able to give better help if you specify your plow type. Straight blade, V or wide-out. Two plugs at the grill or three?

10. Greenstar lawn

Western 8'straight blade. 4 port with 3 plugs coming out of the grill

11. mishnick

In that case my previous suggestions stand. Check the relay power feed wire (small wire on big lug of relay), then check the fuses and finally check the plugs on the isolation module. Plugs 1 is the power from those two fuses, your ignition feed wire and the config plug. Plug 2 is going out to the plow lights and signals. Plugs 3 and 4 are inputs from the original truck headlights and power out to the truck headlights, when the plow is disconnected.

Something else to check (I think this was mentioned above) is the power from the original truck light plugs to the Western headlight harness. You could just plug the truck light plugs back into the truck headlights directly to verify it's not a truck wiring problem??? If the truck doesn't send a signal that the lights are supposed to be on then the isolation module will not forward power to the lights, but that would effect both the truck and plow, you say the plow lights work fine right?

Once again I say look at those four plugs in the isolation module. I think it's either there or the module is bad.

12. Greenstar lawn

Thanks for the help man. I'll check it out tomorrow