1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Headlight wiring

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by cet, Dec 20, 2014.

1. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

When you disconnect the factory lighting and plug it into the Boss pigtail there is an A and B side. If you were to hook them up wrong would you blow a fuse?

My truck was in an accident 3 weeks ago. I got it back Thursday and as it got dark I realized I had no low beams but the high beams worked. This is truck only, no plow on. I took it back to the body shop and their solution was to put everything back to factory so no plow wiring was used. They told me to take it somewhere to get it fixed. I took it apart in the shop today and hooked everything back up. It all works fine now but I'm not sure what I did to fix it. If I connected it to A side and they had it to B side would that blow the fuses?

2. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Sounds like what my 2001 GMC did when I put the Curtis plow on. I had no low beams plow or not. What is your truck? Someone said on here that GM switched the polarity back and forth in some years.

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The truck is an OBS 07, GMC 2500HD. I know that is why they have an A and B side. I don't know how the body shop hooked it up when it blew the fuses so I was trying to find out if hooked up backwards it blew fuses or just didn't work.

4. boss2013

boss2013 Junior Member

If you hook it up on the wrong side it will blow all your headlight fuses. I speak from experience;) i have the same truck I believe it's side "a". I can check.

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

That's what I wanted to know, thanks.
    I had spread out the entire wiring harness under the hood looking for some corrosion. I thought I might have separated 2 bad wires. My fear was I was going to lose my lights while plowing if something else was wrong.

6. boss2013

boss2013 Junior Member

Ya when it happened to me I didn't have high beams, messed with the lights inside the truck, got back out and didn't have anything. It threw me for a loop for about an hour reading the install manual, triple checking everything and then finally I decided to check the fuses.