1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

headlight wiring on an older wester

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by k20plowboy, Nov 3, 2011.

1. k20plowboy

k20plowboy Junior Member
    from NeOH

Hey everyone im brand new to this site and just as new to plowing. I just put a 7.5 ft western on my 1980 chevy k20. after making a bunch of adjustments i finally figured out everything except the passenger side headlight. The drivers side has a plug that plugs right into the light where the regular hightlight was plugged in, and then on the passenger side all i have is a white wire that when i touch it to the battery it comes on, but i know that it should be wired in somewhere and just cant figure out where. I know i could just run a toggle for just that light, but would rather do it the right way. any ideas would be appreciated. thanks
  2. bkabina

bkabina Junior Member
    from pa

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

From what I can see in my electrical book some of the old unimounts had only one input to the relays to cause the plow lights to switch from high to low beams. That means that the output to the headlamps was a simple parallel curcuit. That is to say that you can just bridge from the side that works to the side that doesn't, wire for wire exactly the same and both headlamps will work. As for loose wires... There should be two loose wires on one side for signal and park lamps and a single loose wire on the other side for the opposite signal.

You gave very little detail on what kind of plow or vehicle so it's tuff to be sure. I am guessing you have a unimount with two plugs at the grill and relay headlamp controls with the 9 pin light/control plug. Here is a link to Western's unimount mechanic's guide. I was looking at page 15 but there are other schematics, perhaps if I guessed wrong you can help yourself with the right schematic... http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdf/21936_121704.pdf