1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

headlight wiring for 04 dakota

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by DirtyJerzey, Dec 10, 2008.

1. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

Finally got around to messing with the headlights today on my dakota. The ISO control is a 4port 3 plug box. Originally my local western dealer said no problem all you need is the headlight adapters... Today they try telling me that the 4 port/3plug wont work on the truck and I need a new ISO and plugs.... anyone know the truth with this? If so could I just t-tap the headlight harness I already have to the dodge headlights?

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

More info..

What harness's, iso and headlights on the truck do you have?

3. DirtyJerzey

the plow setup came off a newer chevy 1500 and I have all of the wiring. The plow electrical is all working just never did the lights... headlights for truck are HB5 as for ISO numbers or anything I dont know off the top of my head but it is a 4 port ISO box with a 3 plug out for the plow

4. Crash935

You will be needing the new harness and iso. Without a long explanation it has to do with the differance in the wiring between the GM and the Dodge along with the fact that they run different type bulbs.

5. DirtyJerzey

so there is nothing i can do with this iso and wiring?

6. Crash935

Sure, find someone who has the same problem just with the opposite harness and iso and trade them.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Thats funny right there. :D

8. inknthread

inknthread Junior Member
    from Ohio

Look,

Western will be glad to sell you hundreds of dollars worth of harness and they might even get it right the first time. God know after 3 tries they didnt with me. The easiest cleanest wat I've found is to get a 4 wire trailer kit from say aut zone or walmart for about $15.00 a three position toggle switch two ons one off. You use the short side on the vehicle side even though you have to extend all wires. 4 wires 1 ground 1 running lights 1 high beam 1 low beam. Power broken by key goes to center of switch pick a color 1 for high beam 1 for low beam 1 for running it also goes to center where power is. This way running lights are on when truck is running. this won't give you turn signals up top, but for about $20.00 and an hour or two of you time your down. By the way use the trailer connector right by the pump area so it is easy to connect and disconnect as needed. just as fast as a western connection when done. Keep it greesed with dielectric greese to keep it from corroding. In som places you can even get covers for the 4 flat connectors. Worked great for me for 4 years with no problem. I had an older set up and had it wired like this. Now I have a 2002 dodge with a unimount and a wiring harness from a 1999 ford f-250 hooked everything up but the lights. Cut the harness by the lights taped off one end. wired the other. This was after 2 weeks of trial and error by western local and the factory swearing they could get it right.Took back $400.00 in harnesses and fixed it for $25.00 Good Luck Roger 330-219-8295

9. Crash935

Roger, i going to guess that 99% of the problem you had was a local dealer who, unfortantly, doesnt know their product. If the factory was really involved, i know they would have had the right answer for you in the first phone call.

Jerzey, Hope you found a little humor in my last post? That really is one option.
    And, NO, you really cant do anything with the light harness or iso that you have. See if your dealer is willing to give you a credit for what you have for new, check ebay, or post in the for sale/WTB on this site.

10. zorg

zorg Junior Member
    from Canada

funny things happen

I have a headlight harness for a 2005 Dodge dakota. I need a harness for a 2004 Chevy.
    How funny is that?
    I bought a Blizzard plow off a guy who had a Dakota, mounted the plow on my Sierra, but haven't done the lights.
    Did you find the right harness already or are you still looking for one?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  11. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

There you go Jerzey.. Zorg has what you need....Zork meet Jerzey.....Jerzey meet Zorg..

Now lets play..Let make a deal..........

12. Crash935

Have a feeling your guys a little late, this thread is 2 months old so im pretty sure he got it taken care of.