1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Headlight wire splices

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Mopard, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Not sure if I'm posting this in the best place ... but what are the latest and greatest connectors being used for splicing the harness wires into the trucks headlight wires? Most concerned with water/salt/corrosion etc. Have had expensive problems with the cheap crimp-on connectors that Boss supplies.

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Not sure if you are talking about the wires for blinkers and running lights or not, but for those I always cut the end of the truck side harness, the I cut the running light and parking light wires and use heat.shrink butt connectors to tie it all back together. Have yet to have a issue on any of the trucks I have put plows on.

3. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Exactly what I meant, thanks. I remember seeing some new connectors for doing this and can't find them now. Don't remember where I saw them but thought it was here. I like the heatshrinks until there is 2 wires on one end but maybe I'm just paranoid now.

4. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

Agreed, the butt connectors that have built in heat shrink.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

6. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Thanks guys. You using the solder type or crimp?
    B&B, do you have to actually cut the wires in the truck to use these Solder Seal connectors also? You are using the similar style butt connectors also, correct?

What guage connector are you guys using so you can stuff two wires in the one end?
    What guage wires are we dealing with?

Anyone ever tried the Posi-Tap inline tap connectors? They look slick aside from the lack of a seal. I suppose they could be sealed with die-electric or silicone.

7. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

I use crimp connectors, I'm a firm believer that a well done crimp is just as good as a soldered connector. Yes, you cut the wires for butt connectors. The wires are like 16ga, you'll have no problem using blue connectors. That is my most widely used size. The Posi-Tap connectors do look pretty slick, but I wont trust anything less than heatshrink for sealing.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I use the solder style primarily when there's space to heat them properly, and when there isn't, rely on just the crimp type. But the most important aspect regardless is to use something adhesive lined and heat cured, whether it's Solderseals, a simple non-insulated butt connector with adhesive lined heat shrink, or simply adhesive lined crimp connectors. If the crimp is done properly the connection will only be compromised by corrosion so that is what you're after to prevent. And adhesive lined connectors or heat shrink fit the bill well.

For joining three wires (yes you still cut the wire) the blue 14-16 gauge connectors work best as you're commonly joining wires in the 16-18 range in most cases. To tighten up the "loose" side where you only have a single wire, strip twice as much insulation off as you normally would and fold the wire strand over itself. This tightens up the space on the loose side of the connector making for a better crimp or solder joint.

Personally speaking I avoid the Posi-Taps anywhere corrosion can be involved. They're ok in the passenger compartment but otherwise, no.

9. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Try waytek wire, tectran for the connectors they have step up heat shrink connectors if you think u need them

10. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Appreciate it guys. Not likely I'll find the specific brand names around here but I have seen similar that'll do the trick. Snow is comin' Thumbs Up

11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

The ones I mentioned are online suppliers. Look them up and order what u want/need