1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Headlight trouble

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bajaman, Feb 23, 2005.

1. bajaman

bajaman Junior Member

I have a 1990 ext cab Z71. While driving home I hit the high beam switch and all of the running lights, courtesy lights and the radio went out. I took it to a local garage and they were unable to find the problem but they did run power from the junction box to the headlight switch and every thing works. But when driving with the headlights on the voltmeter slowly drops and after about 10-15 minutes the engine starts surging. Any suggestions?
  2. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

Check the dimmer switch...if it's on the turn signal switch...I would almost bet you need to replace it. Check your grounds too!
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  3. bajaman

bajaman Junior Member

I Removed the dimmer switch and rang it out, it worked fine. I suspected bad grounds though I check and get back. Thanks
  4. NJBuickRacer

NJBuickRacer Member

I agree...check the grounds. If the small wire from the terminal to the fender has a bad connection or a break it can cause the symptoms you describe. If it's melted, then the connection at the block is weak and your whole truck is trying to ground through the one little wire. I usually add a ground strap from the frame to the engine just for a little more peace of mind.
  5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

You should go out and buy a new headlight switch from GM.

Most of the C/K models (yours definately) used the switch to actually start/stop current to your headlights. Later models used relays and the switch simply activates the relay.

Anyway, since all this load is on this little switch, they get worn out quickly.

Replace that, and see if it helps. If it doesn't, you haven't wasted any money, as it would have shortly failed anyway!
  6. bajaman

bajaman Junior Member

Bad grounds it was!!!! I cleaned all I could find and added one from the engine to the frame, it did the trick!!! Thanks for the advise. :drinkup: