1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Headlight/Taillight STROBES

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Rcgm, Jan 15, 2001.

1. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

I have been thinking of getting some strobe light's for my truck the kind u put in your headlight's and tail.Anyone got these?What do you think they worth it?Installation hard?Someone let me know seen them in Angelo's catalog.
    Thanks
    RCGM

2. eggy

eggy Member

Did they have a website?????I am also interested in these.

3. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

The good ones are kind of expensive, but worth it from what I've heard. Try these two:

http://www.northerntools.com

and

http://www.galls.com

The Police ones are the bright ones. The ones from Northern may not be as bright. From what I've heard, they're not too hard to put in. You just have to drill a 1" hole in the taillight/headlight/turnsignal where you want it, and run wires to the controller.

-Tim

4. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I drove a truck with them.Thay are cool but they give you a headache with the strobes bouncing off the plow.

5. Dusty

Dusty Member

With the controller, the 4 corners will cost you about $600. Look for someone that installs them and see if they have any used ones available. A lot of P.D.'s won't reuse them but have them removed before they sell or trade the old vehicles. I know of a fellow on the volunteer fire dept that got his that way.

6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

A gumball machine on the roof does the job.

If you want a light show go to the planetarium.

$500 for fancy colored lights to feed your ego doesnt seem quite right to me.

7. FIREMAN

FIREMAN Member

HAVING BEEN A MECHANIC.THESE THINGS SUCK....EVERY TIME I'VE SEEN THEM INSTALLED THE LIGHT LEAKS MOISTURE IN AND THE KILLS BULBS PREMATURELY THEN YOU HAVE TO REPLACE THE LIGHT HOUSING ......WHICH CAN BE EXPENSIVE

8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

AW direct has them for about 350.00, and a local guy got me a set for 200.00. They are nice, but make sure you get duetze connectors, they are water proof. Also seal where you drill the hole into the light.
    Install isnt to bad, will take a few hours.
    Dino

9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Being a fireman I had them in my personal truck in although all amber the worked well with my blue strobe light bar. When using them to plow I was told by a friendly (verbal warning) state trooper that I still needed a roof light to provide 360 of light. Just passing along what I was told I do not know the laws for amber lights.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I also have them for responding to fire calls, the installation will only take a couple hours and I have not had a problem with ruining the headlight. I would suggest sticking with Gall's on this type of thing, they are very helpful and good to deal with.

11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Still need 360 degrees of light to legally do what??? PLOW SNOW?? I don't know of any laws that mandate the use of a beacon while plowing snow. A roof magnet mount strobe or rotating beacon is all that I voluntarily use along with my headlights on 100% of the time. Day or night. The strobes in the head and tail lights dont do any good backing blind out of a driveway. My next project will be to install my beacon on top of my tailgate spreader just for this reason.

12. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

galls- some good prices. but, their whelen power supplies are very high priced. AW Direct- very high priced on certain items.

for nova strobes check this out:
    <a href="http://www.strobesnmore.com">strobesnmore.com</a> <p> or
    <a href="http://www.strobe-direct.com">strobe-direct.com</a>
    <p>
    for whelen:
    <a href="http://www.sirennet.com">sirennet.com</a>. they sell a 6 head 60 watt 4 corner system for $200. sure beats galls pricing.

bryan

13. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Hetold me that because we do commercial plowing in areas that areopentotraffic that we needed lights. I have them on all my trucks anywayso it was not a big deal. I do not know what information he was citing and he did not take ant action. Just passed the information while we were getting coffee.

14. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

ok, a friend and partner of mine has them. ive plowed with them and as stated above the reflection off the plow is BAD. We took the head ones out and left the tail. This is the way to go!!!!! I may put some in the tail lights but not in a rush to. When i plow i have my hazords on. But now that im thinking about it could u put the strobes in the plow light turn signals?

15. crash22201

crash22201 Junior Member

I have a set in my truck. they are awsome.i had them in the front but they get anoying when plowing. I think they work real good on the back. mine costed me $80.00.
    it was worthevery cent.
    I bought arber bulbs, i put them in with my reverse light.
    Around here i havent seen anybody with them other than
    state plow trucks.

It's a good investment.

16. sam c

sam c Member

F.Y.I. New Hampshire requirs 360 deg. of warning light when plowing. As for cornering strobes,a whelen power supply(not cheap) has an optional lead that allows you to shut off two of four output circuts. On my oshkosh have ,with other warning lights,two on the roof and two on the back of the spreader all facing rear. During the day i run all four at night i kill the roof pair, the reflections in the mirrors and windows make me kookoo.

[Edited by sam c on 01-16-2001 at 07:18 PM]

17. jimsmowin

jimsmowin Senior Member

the better the warning system, hopefully the safer we are. i have external strobes to rear on dump and 360 becon on top. i've warning lights can come into play in the event of an insurance claim or accident. besides us professionals put safety first.

18. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

In CT it gets better, you have to have a permit to use them over the road.
    Dino

19. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Dino, somebody over there has way too much time on their hands.

20. JML

JML PlowSite.com Veteran

my personal truck is all strobed out, running lights and reverse lights. i don't plow so i don't have the reflection problem. But when I used to work for my cousin when he plowed a section of the NJ Garden State Parkway all his tri axle dumps had strobes in the back. After following 12 trucks with strobes on for 24 hours, it can get to you, i saw strobe lights in my sleep that night....