1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Headlight switch for plow gets hot.

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ajs, Oct 6, 2009.

1. ajs

ajs Junior Member

Hi, I have a 2000 F-250 with a 7.3 in it with a Boss RT2 V-plow. I was wondering if any body would be able to help me with a little problem? There is a seperate switch for the headlights that you flip on/off when the plow is attached. The wire coming from the head lights going to the switch gets very very hot, to the piont that its starting to burn. The switch also gets very hot and when you flick the switch the lights will flicker. So I was wondering if I should run a heavier wire than what is in the wiring harness or just replace the switch and hope that solves the problem.
    Thanks for any info

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

i THINK you should go heavier on the switch and wire system!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

3. ajs

ajs Junior Member

Thats what I was thinking also. Hope I can find a heavier switch.

4. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Dont worry about the switch getting a little warm after you install a heavier system. I use off road lights on the highway when I head up in moose country in the summer time. Its a heavy duty switch and wiring, gets warm but not to the point of melting plastic.