1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Headlight switch burning out

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by frogman, Feb 12, 2003.

1. frogman

frogman Member
    from MD

Hi All,
    I've got a 96 Dodge 2500 with an 8' Myers. A few nights ago the lights flickered, flashing from the plow lights to the truck's headlights. I checked all the fuzes and wires for the obvious then messed around with the switch and it performed as normal again. Figured I had bad switch or maybe a loose connection. Finished salting and was on my way home when it went out again for good. I wedged the highbeam flasher switch open to get me home. Along the way the running lights and dash lights went away too. Got another switch (at 100.00 from the dealer) and replaced it today. The old one had a major melt down. I got it all hooked up and checked the lights. Running and dash lights good, no head lamps. The switch was getting very hot.
    Anyone ever have this happen or have any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.
    Bob:

2. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

you need to trace down your wires from the plow lights. You must have a short in that system. I'd check it first. Then go for the truck wiring if you can not find anything. Also, check out your trailer plug. You may also have a short. It has to be a short. Sorry I can not be more directly helpful. Good luck

3. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I had the same problem in my Ford. The stock headlight switch was not heavy duty enough, and after time it would only work on low beams. I have high the Night Sabre lights from meyer. They are high output, too much for the switch. We just put a new switch, and a relay in place as well. Problem solved.

4. frogman

frogman Member
    from MD

HP,
    Thanks, I traced every wire within the light system, trailer harness and spreader. Put a meter to them also. It wasn't in there but, on the plus side, I know there all in good shape to date.

I traced out the leads on the light switch and checked them one by one. Everything was good. I had received a busted switch from the dealer. All is well now. Back up and running.

Chris,
    Where did you get the heavier switch? I've got the same lights on mine.

Thanks to both of you guys for taking the time to help me out with this.
    Bob

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

That switch problem is a common problem on the Ram's.Some were covered under a recall for the 3500,but they forgot the 2500's.If you complained enough,the dealer would cover it under the recall.Add a relay like Chris suggested,for both the headlamps,and for the running lamps.It will prevent it from reoccuring.Search the Chevy forum for my post on headlamp relays,it will show you how to do it.

6. joeboy4

joeboy4 Junior Member

frogman i have a 91 350 dodge also had to replace the head light switch. when it went bad only the dash and running lights went out though. good luck:D