1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Headlight/Running light issues

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by firefighter1406, Nov 29, 2011.

1. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

I have a unimount MVP with the 2 plug and 2 relay wiring. The lights worked great that year, this year I plugged them in and the passenger side running light is not working. It will work when the turn signals are on but not the running light. Replaced both bulbs still the same. Now today I hooked the plow up to get ready for snow tonight and now the passenger side running light and the drivers side headlight is not working. Swapped headlights to make sure it wasn't a bad blub but no fix. Connectors are in good shape and greased. Could it be one of the relays went bad? Or what? Everything else works great, all the functions work fine. Any help would be awesome.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Is it the old square lights??? and does it have the 2 1157 bulbs for the turn and parking?

3. firefighter1406

It is the older glass square lights. And yes the bulbs are the 1157's.

4. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

check the ground inside the light case it has issues after a while, more so if it has been spliced in.

5. firefighter1406

Okay. I will just have to tear apart the harness. Could I just run out wires to the ground on the pump?

6. dieselss

yea def. check that gnd. another issue i have always run into is the socket, and the 2 pins that contact the bulb, they can get corroded, and the spring that pushes the contacts rusts and wont push out anymore. you can get a replacement "backing" plate with the spring at the auto parts store.

7. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

not in the harness in the headlight assembly it self, there is a ground that will effect the turn and runing lights.

8. firefighter1406

Oh. Okay I will take a look.

9. firefighter1406

Alright. Got the passenger side running light working but no luck on the driver side headlight. Checked all connections and they seem fine. Any other suggestions?

10. dieselss

so pwr and gnd is ok at the drivers side socket? even ck high beams? if thats the case,,theres a wiring problem after the wires split by the drivers headlamp bracket. right where the wire harness splits,,,thats were you need to look.

11. firefighter1406

Alright. Thxs. Need to look at it all. I checked the relays and no problems there. I haven't checked the high beams. Will let you know.