1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Headlight Relay (Uni-mount) Replacement

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by grizbait, Oct 31, 2010.

1. grizbait

grizbait Junior Member

Hello all,

I may be in need of a replacement relay for my uni-mount. Currently on a 1997 Ford F-250. I believe the Western part # is 61535K

Is this a standard SPDT relay? Or is there something magic about it? Can I simply pick up a 40A SPDT relay from an auto store?

Presently everything is working except my blinker to one side. I've checked and cleaned all connections - still must check for voltage coming out of the blinker wire up to the relay to be sure I'm getting juice there, but if I can find a common relay, I'd be inclined to replace them periodically anyway.

Any help appreciated.
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If there's only two relays your blinkers (turns) do not go through them, rather they're tied into the trucks turn harness and go directly to the turns in the plow lamps. And if your plow/truck high's and lows are working fine then the relays are working properly.

The turn likely doesn't work due to a blown bulb or corrosion in the socket or corroded connection where it was originally tied into the truck side turn harness. So that's where you want to start. And then check the grill plug for corrosion or a broken pin.
  3. grizbait

grizbait Junior Member

There are indeed two relays. I did have issues with corroded connections in the light sockets which I cleaned out, as well as corrosion in the 9-pin connector (plow-side). I replaced the 9-pin P/S connector and that solved some other issues I was having.

For some reason I thought I saw the plow harness wires from the turn signals (which are spliced into the turn signal wires directly) also go through the relay, but that doesn't make sense that a relay would be required to activate/pulse them now that you point it out...

I will double-check the bulbs again, as well as the connection at the splice... the parking lights work fine, so I'll start tracing back... still curious on the relay compatibility, so any info there appreciated (in case they fail in the future).

Thanks for the reply/info.
  4. hightop

hightop Member

1 relay is for low beam, the other for high beam. The turn signals aren't controlled by the relays, and both truck & plow turn signals should operate at the same time, unlike the headlights..
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can use most any 5 pin Bosch style relay, available at most any auto parts store. No need to pay $15 for one of Westerns "special" relays.
  6. Crack

Crack Junior Member
    from MN55106

Low beam

I have a similar problem. BRAND NEW western HTS the driver side low beam/daytime running light does not work on driver side only. The high beam on that side DOES work.