1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

headlight problems

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by OhioPlower, Feb 21, 2012.

1. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Has anyone had problems aiming the new headlights? I have mine aimed all the way as high as that stupid bracket will let me go and they are aimed about 25 feet in front of the truck. Any ideas? The first couple years I owned it they were fine, now they arent. Any Ideas? I might just grind out the little bracket some so they will aim a little higher.

2. BOSS_JG

BOSS_JG Senior Member

Try loosening the four bolts that connect the light bar tube to the plow frame uprights. There is some hole tolerance that will allow the entire light bar to rotate. Then re-tighten the four bolts. This should give you a bit more adjustment. Then follow the headlight aiming procedure outlined in the attached video to properly set the lights.

http://youtu.be/DK_DWuZwohM

If this doesn’t do it you may want to have the plow inspected to see if something else is the root cause.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it had enough adjustment before, but doesn't now you want to be checking the truck side for anything loose or worn. Something as simple as worn front springs will do it but more importantly loose/worn fasteners on the mount. Not uncommon for them to loosen up thus the push beam rotates down causing the plow lamps to follow. And the first indicator is the lack of lamp adjustability that was once enough.

4. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Boss JG ill try that tomorrow. B&B I just replaces all the hardware on the truckside with grade 8 bolts since the old ones were worn a little and it pulled the headgear towards the truck just a little, but the lights are still way off

5. Screamin!

Screamin! Junior Member

How about aiming the older style headlights with the 2 bolts under the metal bar? I loosened the 2 bolts, and all it allows is the lights to swerve left or right, not up or down.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah they were famous for that, plus seldom holding the adjustment if they would move enough in the first place. The trick to them is to get the horizontal adjustment where you want it and then make the vertical adjustment by moving the light bar. I covered this before on a few occasions when they were still current model since it was such a commonly asked question even then.

7. Screamin!

Screamin! Junior Member

I just bought a new to me truck, and it had a 8' Boss. And being I'm a western guy, I'm pretty lost with all the standard functions.