1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Headlight problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jkiser96, Dec 28, 2009.

1. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

We were out last night & for no apparent reason the headlights started flashing, The marker ligts are not effected or anything else but the headlights. Has anyone had this trouble & if so what fixed it. I have a bad feeling it is the dimmer switch but still hoping something simple.:confused:

2. OH350Crew

OH350Crew Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

Check the connection from the wire harness at the light(bulb connection) it might be loose or have some corrosion in it

3. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I checked all the connections & they all looked good & tight with no corrosion. I talked to a guy that thinks the headlight switch may be getting weak & shorting out so I am trying that first. I hope it isn't the dimmer switch in the column.

4. OH350Crew

OH350Crew Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

do the both the plow head lights and the truck head lights flash, how about with the high beams on.

5. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

It doesn't matter which lights are on. It started on the plow lights so I had him switch to truck ligts & they continued to flash, Low beams & high beams it doesn't matter.

6. OH350Crew

OH350Crew Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

Bummer, it does sound ke the switch.

7. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

Found the problem. The plug in that goes to the switch has gotten hot & cracked the plastic which caused 2 terminals to short each other out. I went to Autozone & got a new plug & pigtail & rewired it tonight so now I just need another push to let it get good & warm to make sure it is fixed.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Didn't catch this thread until now but good to hear you have it sorted out.

A burned/melted connector at the switch is a common issue. The fact that the connector was available in the aftermarket is a clear indicator if that. :waving:

9. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I finally called my buddy that is a service manager at a Ford dealership & he said that it sounded like this was the problem as he had replaced a lot of them over the years. I was searching for a headlight switch the other night & remembered seeing the pigtail & thought it was kind of odd but oh well as long as they are fixed. Went out to salt this morning & they are working fine so hopefully that is all there is.:D

10. OH350Crew

OH350Crew Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

Good to hear you got it taken care of