1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Headlight problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by bunick, Dec 19, 2009.

1. bunick

bunick Junior Member

I have a unimount 9 pin setup. My problem is when not connected to the plow my headlights on the p/u won't come on if I leave the black/orange wire from the solenoid connected to ground. Everything works on the plow whether it's connected or not. I disconnect the blk/org and everything works so maybe I should just leave well enough alone, just puzzled. Any ideas? Thanks.
  2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

If you leave the black/orange wire disconnected, does the truck lights work (plow harness not connected)?

With the plow and vehicle harness connected and the black/orange wire disconnected, does all the plow function work (angle, left,right, up, down, low and high beams, parking lights on plow and veh. signal light on plow and veh)???

If they all work with out the black/orange wire hook to ground, leave it off.

My black/orange wire is not attach to ground..Some vehicles use it and some don't..

Let us know....
  3. bunick

bunick Junior Member

With the plow connected everything is good. Disconnect the 9 pin connector and my headlights on the pickup will not come on with the black/org wire grounded. Disconnect the wire from ground and all is good, headlights on p/u go off when connected to the plow, come back on when no connected to the plow. So I think it is going to be left off. I still have it connected to the solenoid just not grounded to anything. This is my first season with the plow. Just never saw any wiring instructions that say anything other then to connect it to ground. Thanks and have a Merry Christmas.
  4. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Leave it on the solenoid..

U should download the "mechanic's guide" from western. It is always goo to have around just in case you run into trouble. Here is the PDF http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/21936_120198.pdf

Have a good holiday........
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2009