1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Headlight Problem on Chevy

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by CLPS, Dec 9, 2008.

1. CLPS

CLPS Junior Member
    from Midwest

I have an '05 Boss 7.6 Superduty recently installed on 2000 Silverado 1500. After installation everything worked for one day. Now I have no lowbeams on plow and truck. All connections were cleaned and greased. Not sure where to begin, left and right headlight fuses are good, high beams and all other lights work. Any suggestions?

2. themechanic43

themechanic43 Junior Member

Look real close at the black and gray plugs on the headlight adapters, there is an "A" side and a "B" side. They all have to be the same. The 99-03 GM's were grounded different from 98 back and 04-up, just like the Dodge. I can't remember which side is up for that particular model. Go to Boss website, click on service center on the top middle, and on the left will have technical information, and then to headlight adapters, it will give a chart and from there pick your headlights and it will give detailed instructions .

3. CLPS

CLPS Junior Member
    from Midwest

Yea I know that they have to be on the B side for 99-02 and they are. I am thinking it might be a bad connection at the adapters but its unlikely that thats the problem on both sides. Could I bad connection on one side cause both low beams to be out? And does it make sense that a bad connection could cause effect low beams and not high?

4. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

You lost the seperate left/right circuits for the headlights when the plow was installed so don't assume that you have two problems just because you lost two lights. They both feed through a single relay now so a bad relay will take out both lights. Same thing goes for a bad fuse. Try switching all the relays one spot left and see if the problem migrates. This will determine if there's a bad relay. They go bad more often than we'd like.

5. themechanic43

themechanic43 Junior Member

Yeah, what he said. Also, twice I've run into a situation where someone had switched the pins in the connector rather than notice the "a" and "b" side. This would probably only happen if the plow has been around a while and changed hands quite a bit. If it was originally on a 99-03 and then put on the 07 before it came into your life. I have also seen no continuity situations in the molded plug end. If any doubts, check the wire colors against the diagrams on the website.