1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

headlight not working

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by oldbluehairhemi, Jul 19, 2012.

1. oldbluehairhemi

oldbluehairhemi Senior Member

I search the forums but couldn't find it but I know I'm not the only one out there that has had the problem with one headlight not working on low beam. The high beams work fine. I switch bulbs, checked fuses, relays and all. I know what the problem is. the FCM (front control module) isnt sending a signal to the light to turn on. Was wondering if anyone has found a way to get the headlight to work without replacing the FCM?

2. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Pull the FCM from the side of the fuse box. Use electrical cleaner on the pins as well as the recepticals in the fuse box. Use a small pair of needle nose pliers and twist the flat pins SLIGHTLY. This helps tighten their fit in the fuse box. You might also brush the pins with a small brass brush to clean them.

3. oldbluehairhemi

You have had the same problem before?

4. jhenderson9196

Yes. I needlessly replaced the first FCM before I learned.

5. oldbluehairhemi

wow! I bet that hurt the old wallet. where do you get electrical cleaner?

6. jhenderson9196

Any good auto parts store. I like CRC brand.

7. oldbluehairhemi

Next time I pass autozone I will look. It's been raining for alomst 5 days and haven't got the chance to work on the truck yet.

8. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

What year and model are you working on??:waving::drinkup:

9. oldbluehairhemi

2004 Ram 2500

10. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

I bet your TIPM is shot ... been through this twice. Share what you find.

11. jhenderson9196

Tipm did not come into use until 06. 03-05 used FCM.

12. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Of course, I did know this ... that '06 was first year for TIPM. duh.

13. oldbluehairhemi

well the fuse box and fcm together make out the IPM. Took the fcm off, cleaned everything and I can't seem to find any of my needle nose pliers. I put everything back together for s and g's and no luck no headlight and the stupid lamp out light is still on. I talked to a few buddies that are dodge techs and they said something internal in the FCM for sure and when I replace it to make some sort of splash shield because the entire underside of the fusebox is eposed to the elements ( i.e. rain, dust, dirt, SNOW)