1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Headlight Issues

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by White Gardens, Dec 4, 2011.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

This past year I've been chasing gremlins in my truck, and I think I've finally got them all sorted out.

But, I went to plug my plow in last night, and the plow lights didn't kick on. After about 10 minutes though (fussing with other things) they finally did.

Turned the truck on and off and again they didn't work.

Now, my truck is central hydraulics, so the only wiring for the plow is the relays for the high/low beam. Those relays were replaced last season when I first had issues with my truck lights not going back on after unplugging the plow. It was before the big blizzard, and I took it to my local fisher dealer (QTE) and they did a quick check. Basically replaced my relays and ran a hot-wire from my battery to one relay to get the lights to come on. This was basically a quick fix.

So, I want to figure out what the real issues is and get it addressed in the next couple of days. I do have day-time running lamps if that helps, and not exactly sure how the relay entirely works.

If someone can give me a few pointers, or what to look at, let me know. I might mess with the plow plug first and make sure I'm getting a good connection.

Thanks.

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Sounds to me like you have a compromised (pinched, burnt, corroded, chaffed, hacked....) wire, if not a connection somewhere. You need to trace the harness in it's entirety. Chances are you have a junk relay again as well, most likely the one that has a hot lead to it, but I wouldn't rule any of them out until you can run through the process of elimination.

I'm a bit of an over kill guy, but if it were me, I would pull the whole thing out and go over it in detail....truth be told, I would actually replace the whole damn thing....but that's just me.

3. White Gardens

Ya, I'm the same way, But unfortunately time is not on my side as the forecast isn't looking good for the next week.

Your right though, sounds like I need to start tracing wires, but the whole replacement is probably what is needed on a 10 year old setup.

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I couldn't agree more. Let us know how you make out when you get to it. For a quick fix, I would try replacing that relay again, and double check the lead wire they installed last year for power. If it worked before....it should work again.

5. White Gardens

I will definitively be doing that. If the one wire they installed for power worked, then it makes me wonder if the wire is the culprit.

I'm kicking myself for not taking a day over the summer to just re-do it, but looks like it will be on the docket for the next project.

Right now this is the short list of things that need done.

Fix my screw up on the angle cylinders when putting the plow back together. :cry:
    Install the cutting edge after i get the correct bolts.
    Get the lights functional

Then.....

Construct a flap to keep salt off the back of my truck.
    Wire up my forward LED flush mount flashers.
    Install my West-Coast heated mirrors.

I'm Under The Gun!!!!