1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Headlight Issues - HELP

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by davink, Feb 2, 2009.

1. davink

davink Member

:waving:Hey all -

I have a three year old Boss Plow, and am having problems with the adjustment bolts for directing the headlights. The bolts just spin, and will not tighten enough to keep the lights still. Anyone have and sugestions on how to grab the top of the bolt, to keep it from spinning when I tighten it. I really do not want to buy new housings.

Also, I was thinking of the HID coversion, Like Alaska posted on here. But I was wondering if anyone knows how to change the lighting to be a quad burn, rather that just low beam or just high beam. I would love to have this be like that on my truck as well. I have a 2005 Chevy 2500HD CC with the 6L gasser. Is this a simple thing to change, swap a relay or something, or is it more involved. I know basic electrics, I wired all my hidden strobes, power supply, back up lights, spots, etc. myself, but get a little lost when people start talking relays and all that.

I like the light that Alaska seems to get, but I do not want to was tthe money for half the light, and if I can not make these run a quad burn it may not be worth it If anyone can let me know anything about this I would really appriciate it.:waving:

02-02-09 179.jpg

02-02-09 180.jpg

02-02-09 181.jpg
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

With as many posts about frozen/rusted plow light studs perhaps this should be a sticky....

Pull the light apart by removing the plastic trim ring from the front (need a T-20 Torx driver) and then removing the bulb/reflector housing from the main light housing by removing the four Philip's screws. This will leave you with nothing but the outside light housing still mounted to the plow.

Now look into the housing and you'll see the top half of the rivets and reinforcement plate that capture the light housing to the mount. Reach in the housing with a die grinder or Dremel tool and grind the tops off the rivets. Then take a screw driver and pry the reinforcement plate up off whats left of the rivets. You'll now be able to remove the entire light housing from the mounting bracket/mounting bolts assembly. Now use whatever means necessary (torch, cut off saw, etc) to remove the mounting bolts without fear of melting or damaging the housing. Once you have the mounting plate separated from the plow you can replace the mounting studs. They're nothing more than regular old 1/2 inch plow bolts available from most any fastener supply store. Cost less than $5 to replace all four.

Also pick up 16 stainless #10 machine screws (3/4" length) along with 16 stainless nylon lock nuts. This will allow you to replace the rivets that you previously removed with the Dermel.

Then just drop the new plow bolts into the bracket, re-fasten the bracket and reinforcement plate with the new #10 stainless hardware, and simply re-assemble the light. Everything is indexed so you can't assemble anything incorrectly.

Sounds more complicated than it is. I can "rebuild" both lights on a plow in less than an hour.
  3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

man that's a old problem ,i had a close call with mine was able to use a nut splitter and get the nut's off and use a thread chaser on them to clean the thread's .was able to tighten them down with some heavy dual tooth star washers .but i am cheap if i cant save them again ,i will take the the light's apart ,drill out the rivet's and rebuilt the slot in the bottom ,and make them heaver so the slot's will not round out again . if i can find some plow bolt carriage bolts with a longer hex it would help . just my idea .:salute:
  4. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

As always, B&B has the best overall solution to the BOSS headlight problem!
    You can add a Dual-Burn relay kit to your truck-side wiring harness to obtain a "4-light" function with your plow. It is BOSS part #MSC08050 and retails for about $32.
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Almost forgot....

Since your running an '03-'07 GM truck you can get the dual burn feature on BOTH THE TRUCK AND THE PLOW with 3 minutes of your time, a 40 cent diode, and a PM to me for the explanation as to where to place the diode. It's a piece of cake...
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

For you guys who have never heard the term 'plow bolt' (I'm sure many haven't) here's a pic for refrence...

7. agrizman

agrizman Junior Member
    from Mich

Just a note of interest, Better spray a penetrating type oil on the plastic cover fastners BEFORE you try and take them out. They will snap off in the plastic housing leaving you with the same problem as I have now, broken fastners and not knowing how to remove them from the housing. They are really a fine bodied screw with very course threads. Good luck. Griz
  8. davink

davink Member

Thanks for the advice. I actually have taken the covers off, yesterday infact. I had the same problem with the screws. The torx heads were rotted out, and I ended up having to drill the head off one. I found that if I removed the head, I was then able to remove the plastic cover / frame and then soak the screw and after removing the headlight cluster, I had enough room to grab the screw with a pair of vice grips and carefully remove it. I then went to the hardware store and got stainless philips head screws to replace the ones that were in there orignally.

Best of luck with yours.:)
  9. tbirdhau

tbirdhau Junior Member

Another tip is to apply anti seize to all the bolts so they will come off next time. Whenever I get a new plow I take every bolt out of the lights and apply this and have had no problems down the road. Put it on the little srews that hold the plastic frame for the lights as well.
  10. davink

davink Member

Thanks to everyone - I got the quad burning going, and will fix the adjustment after plowing - since it is snowing here now. I appriciate all the help!!
  11. habart30

habart30 Member

I had the same problem..pain in my a$$
  12. HGT INC.

HGT INC. Senior Member
    from MI.

My PM is not working properly, can you let me know how to hook up the diode to the truck, thanks Jerry.
  13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic