1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Headlight issues again...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SlimJim Z71, Jul 31, 2001.

1. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I was a little bored at work the other day, so I figured I'd start tinkering with my truck. I remembered I was having problems with my headlights not coming on when the plow was hooked up (Truck headlights would come on, not plow lights... then they would switch over about 5-minutes later.)

I traced the wiring harness to the relay for the headlight switching set-up. The relay itself was EXTREMELY dirty, so I cleaned it off and checked all the connectors. Came home, hooked up the plow, and headlights came on right away... switched to high-beams, and the lights went off.

I've been meaning to get it in to the dealer, I just have not had the time. Does anyone know what might be causing this? This is on my SnoWay 25-Series by the way.

Thanks guys!

-Tim

2. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

headlight relay

Tim, if your dealer did not put dielectric grease on the terminals, you should get some and do it. The main problems with relays is corrosion. Also many dealers want to install the relay facing down and it should actually be perpendicular to the ground. If you get now help at the dealer, call Sno-Way direct and ask for technical service. Make sure the relay is positioned away from high heat sources. If your truck is equipped with an adapter plug from the main harness, make sure those are also clean and again use dielectric grease.

3. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Bryan! They put the relay behind my drivers front turn signal, and it's loose, not bolted down to anything. Honestly, I'm a little hesitant to go back there. After all of the problems I'd had with the install, I don't want to end up sitting there for 6-hours and have them say they couldn't find anything. Being a mechanic, I understand how hard it can be to find and trace intermittent problems, but when it comes to headlights I think I would at the very least replace the relay/headlight wiring harness before sending a customer of mine back out in the dark to "see" if it works.

Thanks for responding so quickly! You've been a good help whenever I had a question.

-Tim

4. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

Tim, I understand where you're coming from. I do remember from other posts that you have had some problems with the install you received. If the relay is in there loose, I would imagine it could be shorting, a terminal loose, terminals touching, whatever. The adapter plug and relay should not costs a lot, if you can, you will save a lot of time and money to replace it yourself. Also, there should be no splicing, the adapter should plug into the headlight and the vehicle harness. The wires going to relay and the realy are coded, it should be an easy hookup.