1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Headlight issue

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Dragonscapes, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Dragonscapes

Dragonscapes Junior Member

I just installed a boss wire harness on one of our new trucks and have a small problem and of course it's just started snowing we have an 11pin 8,2" on the truck and the headlights didn't work on the plow side we checked them with one of our other trucks and they worked fine so now insert my dad's infinite wisdom "the manufacturer is wrong" he reversed the lowbeam plug on the pigtail now the truck has no plow lights and no truck lights, bulbs aren't blown fuses aren't blown the lights just don't work don't know what's wrong and kinda need to get the lights working asap. in the cab the highbeam light is on no matter what now as well not sure if that's something that Gm does when the lights aren't working.

2. Potomac Lawns

Potomac Lawns Member

do the parking lights work? and if you have another truck with the same setup did you look at how it is wired?

3. Potomac Lawns

Potomac Lawns Member

4. Potomac Lawns

Potomac Lawns Member

5. Dragonscapes

I love to hate my dang chevy's 4 fuses for 2 headlights what the heck and they aren't near each other, still can't get the headlamps to work onthe plow side with this truck though.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  6. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

What year are the trucks ?? 01-02' have positive ground systems and 03-07' have negative ground systems. I ran into this same problem when I took my Boss off my 06' and switched it to my 02'. I had to reverse wires to get it to work.

7. Dragonscapes

reverse the wires? in the plow?

8. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

I think earthscapes means reverse the headlight adapter wires. If we're talking about the same thing i ran into the same problem and had the wires on backwards because of how chevy messed around with the polarity between the different years. hope you figure it out.

9. Dragonscapes

Talked to me Boss dealer he said to just rewire the plow so that the running lights powered the headlights (not really fond of that Idea although it would probably work fine) I haven't been in a rush to fix it since the snow is no where to be found. But I think I get the suggestion of flipping the wires for he lights at the harness but is that for the times I have to hook the poly up or is that just a perm flip since as they are wired now they work fine with the 13 pin plows?

10. GA73

GA73 Member

the headlite adapters will plug in 2 ways. have to actually lineup the a to the a . did this the other day my self after truck was worked on in the body shop. eight hours and $50 worth of fuses before buddy who installs them looked at it and flipped one plug and they worked.

11. Dragonscapes

Ok flipped everything over and yes the headlights work on the 11pin plow except that the plow runs both hi and low at once now same happens with the 13 pin plow and the only lights that run on the truck are the highbeams I don't have a problem with the plows running highbeams I always find the plows never illuminate enough area when traveling but when the plow is off wow the highbeams on my truck are going to cause an accident I'm sure of it. Is this what everyone is dealing with trying to run an old plow on newer trucks?

12. STAC99

STAC99 Junior Member

Dragonscapes,
    I had the same type of problem on my'04 Ram. I had a 11pin Boss. I won't go into the details of everything that was going on. For a while I had a separate toggle for the plow lights, what a pain. What I ended up having to do is buy a 13 pin TRUCK SIDE harness. Problem solved. With the new 13 pin Boss uses a relay system(some of later 11 pins had them) and a pos/neg reversing plug(when you get new 13 pin it will list which vehicle runs which way). Now you will still be able to run any 11 pin plow(no modifying) and any 13 pin( and be able to use SH2) plow.
    My suggestion is to rewire your plow the way it was and buy the 13 pin T/S harness, about 172 bones add tax. It is worth the investment and not having headaches. Any ???'s reach me at stac99@hotmail.com
    Andrew

For those who gave the ultimate sacarfice, Semper FI.