1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Headlight issue

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by NorthernPlowman, Sep 18, 2010.

1. NorthernPlowman

NorthernPlowman Member

I just hooked up all the wiring on my 99 Sierra 1/2 ton. I have a 8 ft ultra mount pro Has the 3 port module set-up. My issue is my headlights have to be on high beam, I have no low beam! I spliced the running lights as well as the turn signals. Any ideas?? A buddy has a 02 duramax and he also has this same issue.

2. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

You should check to see if the configuration plug is configured properly and the orientation of the headlight harnesses are setup for your year truck and not the 03-06.

3. NorthernPlowman

NorthernPlowman Member

Went to the dealer and bought a new harness for a 99. How would I see if it's configured properly?

4. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

You can check in the mechanics guide because GM headlights were wired different from 99-02 then the 03-06.

5. NorthernPlowman

NorthernPlowman Member

It must be something because I hooked up to my bro's 03 duramax and it worked on low and high. Just have to do a lil investagation.

6. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Yes the harness you have is configured differently. If you can't find it in the mechanics guide let me know or there are others on here who are very helpfull!

7. NorthernPlowman

NorthernPlowman Member

I have the 29048 Harness Western1, Is that the same harness you have on your 99 GMC? I have a 99 Sierra 1/2 ton with a 8' pro ultra mount. Maybe we can compare our wiring set-ups.

8. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

No my 99 has the old relay style wiring.

9. NorthernPlowman

NorthernPlowman Member

When I plug in my headlight harness I can hear the relay click is that normal? I have parking lights just no low beam!?!?!?!?! I hit the high beams and they work

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There is no configuration plug for the headlamps on a 3 port system so forget that. Your problem is you don't have the headlamp plugs connected correctly. If you look at them closely you'll see they're marked "A" and "B" and can be flipped 180 degrees so they'll plug in either of two ways, one for a common positive system (for '99-'02 GM) or a negative common system (everything else GM). And all four have to be plugged in the same way.

As simple as reading the install instructions... http://www.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/29206&29225.06_071508.pdf

11. NorthernPlowman

NorthernPlowman Member

I have plug A going to port A B to B and C to C. Are you saying I need to swap A and B?

12. NorthernPlowman

NorthernPlowman Member

PROMLEM SOLVED! Thanks guys for your help. If anyone else has run into this issue. Where you have to run your high beams cause you have no low beams flip the harness plugs 180 from the pig tail to the headlamp.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Exactly as I stated. :waving: