1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

headlight gremlins

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by fishinak, Nov 29, 2012.

1. fishinak

fishinak Junior Member
    from ak

crazy! so my headlights on my plow and truck randomly quit working the other day. I got the truck lites working just fine. turned out to just be a bum fuse.

NOW. when I hook up my plow lights the headlights on the truck stay ON and the plow lights are just VERY dim. When I take the brights OFF the truck and plow lights both shut off completley.

Before this everything worked fine....when plow was hooked up NO truck lights only high beams on the plow. Other than swithching the two relays and then swithing back to the origingal relays (after discovering that was not the culprit) nothing has changeed. WHY THE ARE THE TRUCK HEADLIGHT STILL ON AND WHY ARE THE PLOW LIGHTS SO DIM?

Thanks in advace for any and all help.
    Western Unimount and 1999 GMC Sierra.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

did you ck your gnds???? the lights switch b/c of the gnd at the plow when you hook up the grill connector
    might be loosing gnd to the low light relay

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Grounding is the problem, perhaps I should say it isn't grounding

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Can you give us more details on the plow type, is it a uni with two plugs at the grill and relay controls? 12 pins on one plug and two on the other? 9 and 2 perhaps? We know its a relay system but what kind? If we can identify the plow we can hook you up with a schematic then you can look for specific color wires to test but right now we can only give general ideas.

Also confused about your statement
    "Before this everything worked fine....when plow was hooked up NO truck lights only high beams on the plow."
    Everything worked fine but the plow had only hight beams? If that was the case it wasn't working fine in the first place. If you blew some fuses that would indicate to me there is a short somewhere. You need to get the correct schematic and then systematically eliminate things one step at a time.

5. dieselss

Nick. Pm sent

6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

7. dieselss

Thx nick. But that was another thread....in a different place. But thx for the page info

8. fishinak

fishinak Junior Member
    from ak

Thanks for the help so far guys. The plow is a uni w two plugs at the grill. One has two pins (hydraulics) and the lights pin has 12 pins ( ill hav to double check).
    Ya before all this, when the plow was hooked up I only had brights (but not too bright) on the plow. I just assumed that's the way it was supposed to be. Since the brights indicator on the dash never went off.
    Maybe grounds... Where can I find those?
    Thanks so much for any and all help. I sincerely appreciate it!

9. dieselss

Well the 2 plug is your main plow gnd. But it gets its gnd from your tk,,where ever you have it gnded,, batt or metal. Start there find that and ck it. Clean and grease it. Remove it first of course

10. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

When you replaced the fuse, did you replace it with the same size? Or a larger one?

If you replaced it with a larger one, then it would suggest that the circuit is being overloaded, probably by something shorting out and powering up more bulbs than the circuit can handle.

I do NOT EVER suggest replacing with larger fuse than factory. Doing so removes the protection that the fuse is there FOR.

11. fishinak

fishinak Junior Member
    from ak

umm ok I feel a bit stupid now. So when I was testing to see if the plow lights were working I was only plugging in the 12 plug not the 2 plug as I thought that was only for the hydraulics.
    SO maybe there was no ground thus the plow lites were so dim.
    Still doesnt quite explain why truck headlights stayed on though does it?

So to clarify...if the 2 pin plug was not plugged in do the plow lights work?

I am at my square job rite now and cant check the truck til this evening.

12. dieselss

Just tried it on a 9 pin with drls,,,the plow lights were BARELY on. I could only see a little orange in the bulbs. And no tk lights

13. fishinak

fishinak Junior Member
    from ak

Thanks Dieselss!
    Man I can wait to get back and try it. I hope and pray that is my issue. I cannot afford to sink anymore TIME and money into this rig rite now!

14. dieselss

Well still think you got a gnd issue as well.

15. fishinak

fishinak Junior Member
    from ak

maybe maybe not. maybe it was just cause I didnt have the 2 plug plugged in...right?

16. fishinak

fishinak Junior Member
    from ak

So I am SUPPOSE to have brights AND dims on the plow? Ha, I have only ever (4 yrs) had brights. I cant take the brights off. or at least the brights indicator on dash doesnt go out.

But they are angled down in a way that it doesnt seem to affect cars passin by.

17. dieselss

Yes supposta have high and low beams

18. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

High beam plow lights are a great way to piss people off, especially if you're driving behind them. They can REALLY light somebody up.

If you want to get a ticket in under 5 seconds, drive behind a cop with your plow high's on. Thumbs Up