1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Headlight fuse keeps blowing after swap from another truck

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by gunsworth, Dec 8, 2008.

1. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

Today I swapped a three year old 7.5 Boss Standard straight from a 07 GMC 2500 Classic to a 01 Chevy 2500HD. When done the lights would not come on (truck or plow) and the fuses were blown. Tried other fuses and they would just blow, also the high beams would stay on regardless (according to the dash, they didnt actually come on due to the fuses) I suspect the wiring harness is the culprit, but the Boss website lists the same part number for both trucks. What else should I check/do, I guess im gonna call boss tomorrow to double check.
  2. MJLsLawnCareNmo

MJLsLawnCareNmo Senior Member

When does the fuse blow? Does it happen after you specifically do something (lights, plow movement, etc)? Also which fuse(s) does it blow?

I would try switching the vehicle option connector. Reverse it from how it is currently connected. Can't make any promises but it might do the trick.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

2 things...

1) You have one or more of the head light adapter plugged in backward...

The '07 classic would have used the "A" side of the plugs.

Your '01 needs connected so that their on the "B" side.

2) Also on your '01 you need to flip the vehicle option connector 180 degrees so that the wire colors are opposite, since it was previously on the '07 the like colors will be paired (matched) same color to same color. You need them opposite: red/yellow to white/yellow as example.

No wonder its blowing fuses..
  4. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

Cool Ill give that a try today, thanks
  5. CLPS

CLPS Junior Member
    from Midwest

I just had the same same problem installing an 05 Boss Superduty on a 2000 chevy 1500. Make sure the B side of the adapters are plugged in to headlights (A side is ground) and replace fuses and check bulbs. Also check what ignition source you plugged into, if the source is tied in with the lights it could cause a problem. I use one that is for a cell phone adapter, it is in the bottom right corner of the under dash fuse box. Also check that the vehicle option connects are hooked up red/black to black (opposite)