1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Headlight Flashers

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by 20Silverado05, Nov 11, 2008.

1. 20Silverado05

20Silverado05 Senior Member

anybody use headlight flashers and if so do you kno if they are also compatible with HIDs

OSLIGHTS Member
    from Florida

Not a good idea at all with the HIDs. They have to fire every time using the ballast, which will quickly burn out. Do you have HID's on high and the low beams? If not, I would use a Whelen wig-wag module on the side that is still halogen.
  3. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

i wouldnt use wig wags period unless you have driving lights ...... cops might not like that idea .... i believe there illegal in all states ...
  4. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

No, they are not compatible, for sure

MAR4CARS Senior Member

Not compatible with hids and are def. illegal in most if not all states.
  6. Indy

Indy Senior Member

it also cuts down you visibility substantially (it tuns a light off each time) so I don't see any benefit if it's on your primary lighting..........JMHO
  7. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

headlights flashers(wig wags) are illegal in ma so i wouldnt reccomend using them
    also i doubt they work too good with the HID lights
  8. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Hids are not compatible with wigwags. Hids cannot repeatedly ignite and then shut down and then ignite again immediately. Not to mention wigwags will get you a ticket or arrested faster than any other offense in mass.
  9. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

Im assuming you guys are saying they are illegal for non-emergency use?
  10. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

only emergency vehicles or volunterr fire/ploce/ems or fire/police/ems personal vehicle (if they so choose) can have them no plows/towtrucks/ice cream van whatever else can use any sort of alternating headlight flashing system.
  11. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

i got em....hehehe
  12. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

NH doesn't actually have a specific law addressing anything other than blue lights for police, red for fire/rescue, and amber for towing/plowing. So, near as I can tell you can have them, but if you were to get caught using them to move traffic out of the way you would end up getting charged the same as if you used colored lights. I doubt any judge would be sympathetic to you, even though the law is a little vague. There are places where it just says "emergency lights", so I guess it could be proven that since most people, upon seeing wig-wags in the rear view would think you're an authorized emergency vehicle and pull over. So if you made them think it's an emergency light, then it's an emergency light. I have seen it alot on funeral vehicles, not sure who told them it was okay but apparently it is.

If I saw someone do it I'd write them under the emergency vehicle statute even without colored lights, and I bet it would stick. At the very least it's an equipment violation like a defective headlight. I caught a guy with blue lights facing forward on a motorcycle last summer, made him cut the wires off right there.

Can't understand why someone would want their headlights to flash while plowing. That's just stupid and counterproductive.
  13. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

So DetroitDan, what part of NH do you patrol????;)

14. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I work for the town of pm sent