1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Headlight Flashers

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by fordtruck661, Apr 27, 2011.

1. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

Ok Im looking at buying a headlight flasher kit but reading how to wire them its telling me to cut the High Beam wire and splice in the kit. Here is the link to the wiring instructions http://www.sirennet.com/pdf/SOETHFSS-SP-SPA-SPFL_install.pdf

The main question is does any one know how hard it is to do this? I don't feel like getting this a finding out it is a little harder than i thought it was going to be. (Im pretty good at wiring up lights in cars)

Thanks

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I did one like this on a buddies truck. It was simple. It isn't hard. As long as you know the basics you'll be fine. Make sure to use waterproof connectors.

3. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Make sure your State Law Allows for you to have headlight flashers.... Could save you some big money down the road!

4. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Solder and shrink tube here. I hate crimp butt connectors.
    T.J.

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Thats never a bad way to go. I always make a mess with the solder though. I always use the butt connectors with the shrink down ends on them.

6. fordtruck661

from CT

Yeah this is for the fire dept. and i have a permit for it.

I think i will be using crimp connectors because im not very good at Soldering.

Thanks for all the info

7. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

headlight flashers are a Big No No in CT . also some of the newer fords say do not use seeing how they over heat the lights and burn them up

8. fordtruck661

from CT

Well as seen right above your post I say that Im on the Fire Dept. and that I have a PERMIT for them. Thumbs Up

9. Racer26

Racer26 Junior Member

Like many others have said, it's not too hard to install. A little time consuming, but the actual wiring isn't that difficult if you follow the directions. I installed a Whelen UHF2150A flasher on my truck, and it probably took 2-3 hours. I took my time, made good connections, and covered all the wires with plastic wire loom. I also ran both switches in the cab (one is to switch patterns on mine). Make sure you have plenty of wire depending where you mount the box and switches.
    The biggest thing with headlight flashers is to make sure you know whether your headlights are positive or ground switched. I must've fumbled around with mine for at least an hour before realizing it wouldn't work since my headlights are ground switched. Luckily the flasher I got could be wired to either system. Definately a solid unit, and was only about $40 new, shipped.

10. fordtruck661

from CT

where did you ever find one for $40. if you could tell me where you got it that would be great

11. Racer26

Racer26 Junior Member

I got it from Vehicle Lighting Solutions at vlsusa.com. The actual unit is like $38, and then it was like $8? for UPS Ground shipping.

Here is the link:
    http://www.vlsusa.com/cgi-bin/vlsusa/UHF2150A.html

12. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

After being enlightened by a good friend and my electrical mentor lol I buy the uninsulated butt ends from McMaster and then use my own shrink tubing over them. They are much smaller that way, more flexible, and best of all A LOT cheaper!!

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  13. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

I'll sell you m hideaways Whig include apex weather connectors, 15' of cable and 4 tubes and the fuses that go with the power supply.
    For 75$

14. fordtruck661

from CT

already got 4 hideaways installed in the car thanks for the offer though