1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Headlight bulb shields have become dislodged

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Diesel Bob, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Diesel Bob

Diesel Bob Member

I have a 2008 VXT and the headlight bulb shields have become dislodged, not sure if I can remove the front lense, it appears to be a sealed unit?
    Any ideas on how these assemblies come apart or how to fix this.

2. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

the clear lense is rtv'd to the body after you remove it from the housing be very gentle and it will come apart just make sure to reseal the lense back on with rtv and superglue is holding my shields back in or leave them out and annoy people lol

3. Diesel Bob

Diesel Bob Member

ihdriver7088, Thank you for your help with this.

4. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Diesel Bob...
    There was a service bulletin for the loose shields issued back in Dec 2008 for the new "Smartlight 2" headlights
    http://www.bossplow.com/content/servicecenter/documents/sv86.pdf
    If your going to do the reinstall yourself you do "not" want to remove the plastic lense from the reflector.
    You can do reinstall "though" the bulb mounting hole, just follow the directions.

:rolleyes: John...

5. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i used a small right angle pick and got in there and then put a self tapper throght the bottom after i got them back into place!

6. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

A couple of months ago I noticed both of mine laying in the housing. After removing them & disconnecting the bulbs, my buddy was able to fish them back on w/ a couple of different pics. He got them on just enough to hold, then mixed some epoxy and applied a nice dab on each w/ a twisted paper towel, before sliding them the rest of the way into place. They will never fall off again.

7. Diesel Bob

Diesel Bob Member

Thanks everyone for your help!
    I have not looked at the newer than 2008 headlight assemblies, has Boss redesigned them so this is no longer a problem or have they made the assembly easier to access?

8. Salty dog

Salty dog Member

Thankyou Diesel Bob & Garagekeeper , I've got this same problem on 3 different Boss plows . I go to dealer and i get a thats too bad , never seen that before you must be rough housing with your plow . :dizzy:

been asking around and this is the answer i been lookin for purplebou

Gonna try to fix this week , definitely no rough housing this year :jester:

9. Ultra Duty

Ultra Duty Member
    from NE OHIO

Had the same problem, my dealer did cover it. Hope it doesn't happen to my 2011 XT.

10. Garagekeeper

Salty dog...
    Your Boss dealer "should" have been aware of the problem as the service bulletin "was" sent out.
    We "just" did a repair on one that came off and took care of the other one that hadn't' two weeks ago.
    This was a problem with the tooling when the lights were made, and had "nothing" to do with "rough housing" with your plow.
    You "may" want to ask your dealer "again" should you not want to do the repair yourself.

11. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I pulled my assembly apart with no problems. You have to be patient and go slow, but it can be done. Then use a high grade weatherproof caulk, sealant to pit it back together once you run a screw through the bottom to hold it in place.

12. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Mine is a 2012 VXT and I just noticed the passenger side bulb shield laying on the bottom of the light ... so I'd say they STILL haven't fixed this issue.
    Tried to pull the light cover off by removing the 4 screws, nope ... thought it was maybe just frozen as there is ice in between what looks to be a rubber gasket and the lens ... doesn't look like rtv. Anyhow, so then tried to disconnect the plugs on the back of the light but can't seem to figure out how the heck they even come apart, lol. Working out in -20 in a blizzard in the dark with snow and ice packed in everything including my eyes isn't helping, lol.
    Any tips to get these lights apart so I can bring inside to repair?

13. Garagekeeper

First thing.... You don't want to take clear light lens off.
    To release the connectors to the bulbs takes a small hooked tool to release the latch tabs on the sockets while your lightly pulling on the wire.
    Now comes the fun part..you will need to get the bulb shield back in place using a pair of needle nose pliers. once in place a small hole needs to be drilled in the plastic housing directly under the shield so a small sheet metal screw can be installed to retain the shield. Or you can take it back to your Boss dealer and ask if they will repair it under warranty... I just did one two weeks ago..

14. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Thanks ... I got it that night. Woulda been a little easier in better conditions, lol. I ended up pulling the wires through enough so I could get at the connectors from inside the light ... easier to do when you can see the damn things, lol.
    I used a large pair of "tweezers" with the hooked ends and it was a breeze getting the shield tightly back in place. Funny mine had no screw already being a 2012/13 model huh ...
    And the seal on the light is already broken because there is sand and crap inside along with ice as I mentioned above. Looks like a rubber type seal to me but seemed to be stuck on there pretty good where the seal wasn't yet broken.

15. awhip

awhip Member

Both of mine fell off, i ripped them out through the bulb hole, probably not the "right" way but it felt like the lense was going to break when i tried to pull it apart. Now that I've read people have got them apart i might have tried harder.