1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Headlight adaptors

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by 03fordboss, Oct 12, 2012.

1. 03fordboss

03fordboss Member
    from Iowa

I have a 2009 f250 and I am trying to wire it for my plow. the local boss dealer said I needed headlight adaptors which I bought and have hooked up, my question is do I need to splice in the 2 relays that came in the kit or are they for a different vehicle that the kit works for. If i am supposed to hook them up what will happen if I dont use them? I really don't want to cut my loom.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes you'll want to add in the relays, they're for the turn signals. They're needed because the lighting systems in these trucks doesn't play well with any add on incandescent lighting so the relays are used to prevent the truck form "seeing" the extra load of the additional turn signals.

3. 03fordboss

03fordboss Member
    from Iowa

Thanks B&B!! So if I don't hook up the turn signal wires in the main loom and don,t put the new relays on than just the turn signals won't work on the plow, but the headlights will be fine?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The turns will still work initially but the truck will probably (likely) shut the turn signal circuits down once it sees the "fault" created by the extra bulbs. Then you'll have no front turns at all and that is the whole purpose of the relays. To prevent truck side issues as they are very fussy to extra circuit loading.

BTW, the relays and their purpose have no bearing on the plow headlamps (either high or low beam) what so ever.