1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Headlamp Bolts/Nuts Frozen

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JUSTBE, Feb 20, 2005.

1. JUSTBE

JUSTBE Member

I have a Boss V-Plow and the headlamp bolts are spinning when you try to tighten and loosen the nuts. I looked inside the headlamp and noticed that it is rivited together. Is there a head to the bolt to lock on to or am I just better off cutting the headlamp off and replacing with a new headlight?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

try some vice grips. use alot of WD40 or something similar to loosen up the siezed threads.

3. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

I had the same problem. I sprayed them with PB Blaster (like wd-40 but seems to work a little faster on stuburn bolts) then used my air inpact to take them off. cleaned them up with a wire brush and put back together, now they work fine.

4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I had that on mine a few years ago. On mine, I think I was able to take the bulb out and access the backside. Once it was out I wirebrushed the threads and coated everything with antisieze before reassembling it.

5. jimsmowin

jimsmowin Senior Member

when you buy a new set up take them apart and put aniseze on them , i have replaced more lights due to bolt promblems than breakage all brands fisher meyer and so on

6. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I agree with the above.

Use some liquid wrench or other penetrating oil to loosen the nuts, take everything apart and wire brush it good. When you put it back together use anti-seize (not wd-40 or other standard lubricating oils) and you should have no more problems. I use Nickel anti-seize myself and it's the best. You could leave it out for 10 years and still be able to loosen it when you use that stuff.

7. JUSTBE

JUSTBE Member

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I sprayed them 5 times on Saturday with PB Blaster, yet they won't break free. I tried the Vice grips, but the bolt is just grinding away. I wish I would have put antisieze on them last year. :cry:

8. wagonman76

wagonman76 Senior Member

No need to buy new lights just for that.

You could probably unplug the light, and unscrew it from its mounting, since the nut is siezed anyway. If you remove the headlight, at least on mine, the bolt is a carriage bolt and doesnt have a head you can grab. So you can use channellocks or a pipe wrench (my best friend for a bolt on its 9th life) to hold the stud while you break the nut loose. Somethings gotta give. PB Blaster does work well, so does Liquid Wrench. WD40 doesnt work as well to penetrate seized parts but once you get them moving it works better to keep them moving.

Mine have the same riveted pocket that holds the bolt. I got them used, and the bolts that came with them didnt match, and the adjustment washers were missing. So what I did was replace the bolts with regular 1/2" hex bolts, then used two wedge washers together (for steel channel) to allow angle adjustment. Then some lockwashers and jam nuts to hold adjustment and to mount it. They work good as new.

Anti-seize is a good thing. You could even pick up some replacement nuts and bolts in stainless to help keep them from corroding.

9. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Although the damage may be done to the mounting area of the headlight mount you "may" still be able to remove the lights my taking a torch and heating the nut up.
    After heating the nut a while pull back on the light housing to put some tension onto the head of the bolt an try removing the nut.
    If you do get it removed to can some times hammer back the edges of the slots that retain the carriage bolt so it can be reused, of course wire wheel the bolt and apply antiseeze and a new nut and washer.
    Good luck.
    :rolleyes: John........................