1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Heading to D.C.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We are heading to the D.C. area if anyone is interested in meeting up somewhere south or east of Pittsburgh. This all depends on our local weather which went from a 6-10" storm to a 2-4" storm Tuesday-Friday (big deal). So if all goes well up here we will be leaving Erie Pa by 1 or 2am Thursday and be in the D.C. area by 8ish am ready to go. We are bringing 2 trucks with V blades, 2 or 3 skid steer's and possibly 2 F550 4x4 dump's. PM me if interested.
  2. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Hey, I was gonna write in your other thread, sayin that D.C is getting another 35cm more !!! So how are u organizing all this? Do u have contacts & worked lined up?......

Good Luck :waving:
  3. Brian Young

Been in contact with 2 other companies, one said if they get as much snow as they predicted then he will def. call (which they seem to be getting buried again right now). The other company was a facility management company who is supposed to call tomorrow to see how bad our storm was (which seems to be falling apart as of 930 pm). I also have been in contact with DDOT but no response with them as of 530 pm (they closed at 445pm,lol). My uncle lives 30 minutes from D.C. and he said the main roads are fair, the side roads are still at one lane and several parking lots and tons of driveways are still buried as of late last night around 930-10pm. Its a risk but I think they need a ton more equipment down there still, by the sounds of it. It would be nice to hear whats going on from someone who is right there.
  4. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

best of luck to you! I hope you make out well and dont run into any issues. Could be a real money maker :waving:
  5. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Yea, it's risky deciding if its worth it or not, to go down there with ur fleet. If things don't go according to plan with the city or commercial companies, you could always go door to door in resi neighborhoods?!! :cool:

How far of a drive is it?
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Bring a truck load of blower down there and sell them.
  7. Brian Young

Its about a 5.5 hr trip in good weather not towing a skid steer. But I'm guessing around 6-7ish with the weather. Like my Uncle said....stay on the main roads and we should be ok. I'm definitely going to call him before we leave. And as far as knocking on doors....my thinking is people are probably very, very tired of trying to shovel wet heavy snow. I will take tons of pics!
  8. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Now that is an interesting proposition!!!
  9. Brian Young

I'm not one to sit around too long before a good thing is gone,lol I know the risks but IMO its worth it. AGAIN, if our weather does what its supposed to (die out by wed. late morning). Plus we have other equipment and staff to handle our accounts.
  10. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

If you pull into a neighborhood w/2 trucks, once you start any drive neighbors will be running to get your attention.

Stick to driveways $50-$75 cash per pop and you should make a killing.

Go with a company with promises and you may either wait a while for the money to come or have to chase back down there to get it, if at all.

Cash flow is everything and people wanting their drives done are far more likely to have $50-75 in cash ready for you to go to work.
    Put a sign on the window of the truck, $75 - CASH
  11. Brian Young

Already have agreements drawn up, supplies boxed up, a list of things we need. They guy who is going with me works at a TSC and has the 5 extra diesel cans, tow straps, and half that list boxed up and ready to go should it happen. I have a system worked out for driveways thats going to be very efficient.
  12. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

The beautiful thing is,,,it will be an enviroment that supports and encourages fast and dirty plowing, a true rarity up here. :D :D :D
  13. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

where would we be staying?
  14. Brian Young

Sleep? :laughing: We're used to- 2-3-4 day storms.
  15. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

I hear ya,,,but a 5 hr drive plus 20-30hrs on the joystick,,,my back calls for sometime outta that captains chair. hehehehehe
  16. Outd00r Maint..

Outd00r Maint.. Senior Member

good luck ....was i could be there.....its so borring up here
  17. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

My brother is the site manager for the Brickman Group here in northern ny and he has sent down a crew on the first snowfall and now he just sent another with Farm tractors, skidsteers pick ups and single axel wing trucks. 2 tractor trailer loads of equipment and a fleet of trucks, not bad. lol he said most of the people down have no idea what is even going on they are so frustrated lol

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Good For You! I hope you make a killing

Look up the local plow place (dealer) call them and let them know you are in town and Im sure they could tell you who needs help or put you in contact with someone who can give you some good work.

Might have to leave your truck behind and get a BRINKS truck to drive back. payup
  19. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

$50-75 to plow a driveway with 3' of snow in it? not worth the abuse on the truck or the drivetime for that.
  20. Harleychvy

Harleychvy Senior Member

Me and a buddy are heading down later today. Waiting to see what the snow does here in Maine. Heard there was a guy up here that went down on Friday with 2 trucks, both made $5000 in 3 days.

I'm trying to rent a skid steer to bring down, but most of the big companies have already sent them down south.

Gotta set up my beam and chain fall in the shop today to get the plow in the truck.

I have a friend in Waldorf where we are going to stay. I heard all the hotels are booked.