1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Headgear will not raise , attach

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Deco, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Deco

Deco Senior Member

I recently bought a 3 yr. old RT3 smarthitch II 8'2" V plow and looks to be in great condition . I ran it in all positions and it seems fine . Changed the fluid , which looked clean and contained the proper 2 qt. amt.

Only concern is the headgear switch , when pushed up , gives me a buzzing sound like the motor is reving with no action , so I manually have to raise it while holding the button up not to draw air into the system .

I'm familiar with boss products but never had to service one . If I were to guess , possibly bad ground at the harness , pins or a bad smarthitch attach valve on the manifold assy.

Anyone familiar with this problem ?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Start with checking the SH valve for magnetism while attempting to attach. I think you'll find that there isn't any.

If so, first check electrical connections on both the SH valve and especially the switch for good contact. If everything looks good next run a 10 AMP fused jumper wire from the positive motor stud to the terminal on the SH valve with the black wire and retry to connect. If it then functions your SH toggle is defective.

3. Deco

Deco Senior Member

Thanks a ton BB. Whats the best plow position to be in to work on the manifold with cover off and lift cylinder unattached?
    Seems like the vee position is too tight of an area to work

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I run the wings fully out and then place a block of wood between each one and the center section as a safety method while working around the valve/controls. Saves from getting whacked in the back side with a wing if you bump a button.

Another tip, after you have the pump cover off re-install the lift cylinder pin until you're finished. Allows full testing with the cover off and saves from the lift cylinder getting out of position while working with the plow functions.

5. Deco

Deco Senior Member

gotcha , reinstall the lift cylinder and chock the wings open for testing.

6. Deco

Deco Senior Member

BB , I checked it and it is the toggle switch . I jumped it with a fused 10 amp wire and it ran strong . MSC01889

7. Deco

Deco Senior Member

Or do they have to go by serial # of plow ? Thanks again

part# MSC01889 ?

MSC01889.gif

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Easy deal then. :drinkup: If the plow is only 3 or 4 years old and SH2 your switch p/n is correct. :salute:

9. Deco

Deco Senior Member

!!!!!!!!:salute:

10. Deco

Deco Senior Member

BB , it's a success ! The SOB headgear flys like the wings . Thanks again .:salute:

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good deal. :drinkup: