1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Headgear too heavy to push when mounting MM2

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by BeaverFood, Nov 1, 2014.

1. BeaverFood

BeaverFood Junior Member
    from Maine

I have a MM2 and am finding it increasingly difficult (due to age and a recent bowel surgery) to push the headgear in order to get the pins to engage. I have about all I can handle to push it. Are there any tricks/tools to make this part of the process any easier? Many thanks!

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Wish I could help you. Maybe call a neighbor to give you a hand when mounting it?

3. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

either keep the headgear only on and then you can use the pump to mount plow by lifting plow chain up w/ pump and align/swing into clevis or keep the whole unit on for the winter. :nod:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

just put your shoulder into it and push up not sure if that will hurt your surgery but I do that some times .

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

What about just a stupid rope you can pull from the cab. Once it's up just pull the rope off. Other than that, look into another plow, something that loads itself basically, like a BOSS or Blizzard.

6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Make sure you have lift ram all the way down. Mine is not hard at all to push.

7. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

With some thought and ingenuity, you can design and build a simple set up where you use a small bottle jack to lift the frame up. Perhaps with the jack braced on the A frame and pushing on a tab welded to the headgear?

8. Buswell Forest

from NH

The mounting system on Fishers is by no means user friendly. They need to design a better system for sure.

9. BeaverFood

BeaverFood Junior Member
    from Maine

Thanks everyone for your thoughts/help. I may dig into the bottle jack idea. If that works, no more pushing/lifting! I'll let you all know how it works, once today's potential storm gets out of here; up to 10", so the plow is currently standing by, hooked to my truck.

10. Buswell Forest

from NH

Good luck chummy!

11. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

make sure the blade and truck are on somewhat level ground. make sure the lift ram is all the way down, a block under the plow frames jack so it can't sink into soft ground and, have the blade up on on 6x6's or cinder blocks etc. since i got my dad to start putting the blade up on the 6x6's he doesn't have the trouble with the headgear that he use to

12. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Ratchet strap. Anchor at hood latch or core support and reel it in :)

13. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

I agree if u drop it on 6x6 and the length of ur chain is good (ur trk don't have a lift kit ) and make sure the cable that draws down ur lift arm automatically isn't to short the headgear should be pretty easy to push up 2 other things IF u want while the plows on the trk measure and cut a board to length and jam it one side on the plow the other on the upper tower so u have a shorter pushif any when go to remount the plow and lastly make sure when u drive in ur burying the push plate into the plowside receiver BEST of luck to u

14. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

good advice especially being on level ground, the lift ram completely down and a board or something under the jack.

15. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

the setup was bought new in 8/2002 and, we're still trying to perfect getting it on in a minute :laughing: what hurts our cause tho is not having any blacktop or concrete. we're all dirt and gravel but, when everything is close to level one side will generally lock right in then we just woggle the other a bit or get the small floor jack to lift it up the titch it's typically off.

16. snowymassbowtie

snowymassbowtie Member

simple and cheap, use a board. put it on the ground under the frame and push up. leverage is a great thing. I have real bad back problems and there are many times that I cant push it and just use a 2x4 6-8' long on its side and it works great.

17. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

Depending on the age of this plow the pull down spring can be adjusted. If it is to tight you have to push harder to overcome the spring. The other option similar to the 2x4 is our 8551 release rod. It was designed for the MM1 but will also work for the MM2. Basically a long rod with a little nipple on the end. The nipple gets inserted into the holes on the jack leg and you push down using the aframe as a surface which will actually lift the assembly so the pins can engage.

18. snowymassbowtie

snowymassbowtie Member

Yes that works too,I have one that I kept from my old plow. It`s easier for me to use the board, it`s good leverage and much easier on my back.

19. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

i don't think i've ever seen that rod. i'm familiar with the one for the speedcast set up tho. the one i have has a ton of mileage on it and, not all of it from pulling plow pins either lol

20. BeaverFood

BeaverFood Junior Member
    from Maine

Lots of great ideas folks. My plow is now off the truck after dealing with the freak Nov. 1st FOOT of snow. I'll be trying the suggestion about using a 2x4 for leverage next time I mount it. If it works, it's free.

Thank you all!!!