1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

headgear falling back

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by chevyzrule810, Nov 21, 2011.

1. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Today I was going to start replacing a cutting edge on my friends plow.I noticed with the plow dismounted in the garage the plow headgear falls back or all the foward.When I took the plow off the truck I made sure the plow was all the way down and the lift ram collapsed.Any ideas of why it would do this.Here are some pictures to illustrate.

2. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

If surface the plow is set on is slippery or if you're pushing the plow around working on it, the headgear can move forward or back because it's on pivot pins. When you drop off the plow instead of pushing the lift triangle down all the way, just push it down a little, and that will prevent it from falling back too far.
  3. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Is the jack stand bent a little possibly?
  4. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Mine does this no matter what. Always has. When you back out, the push plates grab a bit on the frame and it just flops backwards to the extent of the chain length.

You could try greasing the receiver sockets in the frame and see if it helps, or when you lower the triangle, tighten up the carry chain to take up the slack...when you're ready to remount the plow, drive into it with the chain tight and loosen it up when you need to push the headgear back to lock the pins. Works for me.

Problem with doing this is you'll never get the plow back on the truck if you don't have enough slack in the lift chain. I've tried this and it always ends up with me putting a hydraulic jack under the frame to lift the plow enough to lock the headgear to the pushplates.