1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

headgasket blew.... (pics inside)

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by IC-Smoke, Feb 24, 2008.

1. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

on my 2001 the marine gasket failed causing it to push oil out the front and the fan made a mess of the motor!! it was COLD that night!!!!!

here are some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

last weekend tear down:
    [​IMG]

2. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    table of parts:eek:
    [​IMG]

3. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

Todays destruction:
    I need to get cleaning... this pig is COVERED in OIL! and it looks like I need to clean the radiator as well Note you 24V guys with some Miles on them.... pull the radiator and clean it!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

wow that blows...heres a :drinkup::waving:

5. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

That looks like one heck of a mess. Stock head gasket and studs? Are you going to put some ARP's on it? I have a feeling with the go fast goodies on there you already have that done though. What did you use to clean the oil off of everything?

Was your truck in an accident at one point or did you just convert it to a "sport"

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  6. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

at least it got towed back by another cumminsussmileyflag looks like a big job
    good luck with it, keep that cummins rolling coal:D

7. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

youre on the ball!!

I converted it to a sport, It had a +0.010 marine gasket in it with ARP studs and O-rings but the gasket failed so it pushed the oil out the front. Im going back to a stock gasket thickness along with a cam and springs.

Im still wondering what to do about the oil mess... most of the parts I just wiped down with some "Simple Green" but the oil on the motor.... Im not sure what to do... Id like to find a place to rent a steamer or a wash on wheels kinda deal.... BUT I doubht they will be around here in the sticks...:eek:

8. ctd992500

ctd992500 Senior Member

Believe it or not brake kleen will take all that oil off your motor with out hurting anything.Thats what we use on all our trucks. Just a suggestion. hope everything works out for you.

9. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Wow :dizzy:, how much boost do you run through that thing and what was it capable of?

10. 1bohica

1bohica Junior Member
    from MA

brake kleen, just don't use the 'green can' stuff from Advance Auto Parts in a closed area...or you'll need a bottle of asprin, or your favorite pain relief to kill the headaches

11. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Fire Ring time! :cool: Low compression pistons or no? Are you dumping that exhaust through an external wastegate? I did'nt see it in the pics.

12. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

Wow what a mess. I replaced the head gasket on my 1985 bmw 535i inline 6 last spring. Learned a ton about cars from doing that. People came in my garage and were like holly $h!t. There were parts everywhere, except the engine compartment haha. Probably going to rip the heads out of my truck this summer, and have the valve trains rebuilt, and the heads machined and ported. Probably new exaust and some other goodies at that time.

Are you having the head ported and shaved while you have it off?

13. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Go buy some engine degreaser. Pretty much kerosene mixed with a few other things, works really well, spray off with hot water..

14. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

simple green can't be used on the engine?

can you rent a heated powerwasher that can steam also?

15. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

Im hitting 70-75lbs of boost. stock bottom end. and no external wastegate, just the top charger is wastegated.

Id like to powerwash it but it would make a mess of the garage floor. As I've been pulling the parts off ive been cleaning them. I've ended up using some bug/tar stuff that works great and doenst have a horrid smell like brake kleen.

Ive got my motor guy comming down to do a EEP cam in the next week or so.

I had my head off to the motor shop and its cracked all to he11, valve guides are shot... SOOoo today Im heading to Huntington IN for a 3rd gen head to put on.

hopefully I can get it back together and push some snow with it for fun:drinkup:

16. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

man it sucks when that happens....but nothing beats knowing how to fix your own stuff

17. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

You can put a 3rd gen head on a 2nd gen block? Man that would be SWEET! I could do the dual CP-3 thing, right? Does the 2nd gen headgasket line up? Or do you use a 3rd gen HG? Enterprise Engine kicks @$$!

18. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

the head will work but you need a custom crossover tube (goes from injector line to injector in the head) due to the different way the fuel likes connect, You wont be able to run a Common Rail on a VP truck (youd have to change the ECM/PCM and compete fuel system) but the head will work.... rockers, push rods, injector retainers, etc... Im going to run a stock 24V gasket since Ill be O-ringing the head.

There are only a handfull of guys that have done this out there but so far they are saying the benifit is the air flow and to get drive pressures 1 : 1

Ill post the heads side by side shortly:D

19. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

pics:

3G on top 2G on bottom
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3G on top 2G on bottom
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member