1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Headers vs Stock manifolds

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sledrider2005, Apr 13, 2012.

1. sledrider2005

sledrider2005 Member

I have the common 6.0 chevy problem broken exhaust manifold bolts . Sometime soon im thinking about getting it fixed .I have also thoughts about putting on headers at the same time or should i just stick with the stock manifolds. And what style and brand should i go with. thanks in advanced Jarrett

2. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

Are you planning on any mods to the motor? If not, stick to the factory manifolds. They produce the right amount of back pressure and flow, coupled with the factory exhaust, that the motor was designed for. If you're planning to or have done mods to the motor, where the motor would need to breath better, then go for the headders. IMHO

3. sledrider2005

sledrider2005 Member

I have done a wheatly custom tune already i have a cold air intake and i put a flo pro muffler on . I would like to get some more hp and tourqe out of it.

4. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

When you change to headers, you'll need your tune rewrote, for it to be most efficient.

5. sledrider2005

sledrider2005 Member

will headers make the truck louder what brand should i look for.

6. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Headers are a pita. Always seem to be chasing leaks. Personally i'd run stock manifolds. With only a cold air intake and tune, you really wouldnt need them. But do what you want! lol If you do go with the stock manifolds, you can drill out the bolt holes on the manifold to help prevent breaking the bolts off in the future!

7. Doom & Gloom

Doom & Gloom Senior Member

I have JBA cat4ward headers on my 2005 HD I put them on 5 years ago and they are still perfect! Best headers I've ever had. They are stainless and was an easy swap. They make my whole magnaflow exhaust sound great. I would do it. As far as chasing leaks, it all depends on the work of the installer. They are $432.95 at Summit Racing. Stock manifolds suck, especially on the 6.0L. Hope this helps ya.

8. Holland

Holland Senior Member

I agree that alot depends on the quality of the installation and the quality of the headers you buy. I personally have never had them on anything, but it just seems like every set i've been around seem to have problems.. Nice to hear SOMEONE has luck with them!! haha

9. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

If you are going to buy headers, buy good headers.

I had a cheap set on an old suburban, to add towing power. They sounded great but were a pain in the nuts to change spark plugs, and my plug wires always managed to get burned on them.

10. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I have edelbrock ceramic coated ones on my 6.0. They are great and never had a leak since I put them in 3 years ago

11. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

What did they cost?

12. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i have some cheapies off summit on my truck and they work good. buddie has the same set of his 01 and good luck to.