1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Header to downpipe connection is loose

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Kwise, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Kwise

Kwise Senior Member

97 F250 5.8. Where the passenger side header meets with the downpipe is rusting away. The two little bolts that thread into the header and join the downpipe to it is wearing away and the connection is loose. Do these bolts thread out so I can put new ones in? Or do they need to be drilled out and new bolts threaded in somehow?

2. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind Senior Member

well does it have headers or does it have the factory exhaust manifolds? if it has manifolds you should be able to tap or cut the old one out and put new bolts in. i had mine out when i did a rebuild to the heads on my truck, and had to put new bolts in. im pretty sure we just threw new bolts in, didnt have to weld or mess with anything, just a nut and bolt

3. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

Yeah they thread out, heat them up a bit though. You do NOT want to tap them out. Not fun. You don't wana put to much heat on them though because its cast iron I would bet and you could crack it. If you snap one off ur gona have to pull the manifold and them you will snap off the bolts that go into the head, then you will have to pull the heads to machine them out right. Sounds like I have done this before eh? Put heat on them!!!!!