1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Headed to New England!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chevskeezy85, Feb 23, 2010.

1. chevskeezy85

chevskeezy85 Junior Member

So im going to bite the bullet and head up to NY for the upcoming storm. I know several of you guys have traveled to where the snow is, some have done good others not so good. It's about 1200 miles from Nebraska figured id spend around $500 in fuel and probably another $300-400 for lodging. The only problem is i have no idea on who to contact for work. I know some citys will probably be hiring subs, and many private companies will be doing the same. I currently sub for the city of Omaha and know how much of a PITA it is to deal with citys so im leaning towards private. So should i just start calling some contractors i find on the internet or head out and pray? I know many people would be a little hesitant to rely on someone coming from that far away to actually get there. But if i am already there and ready to work might be better. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated! I dont know maybe im an idiot for wanting to do this! im not looking to get rich off of it, just need a little more income. Thanks again

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

To drive that far without having any work lined up is crazy. Assuming everything goes as planned, how much do you think you'd put in your pocket when it's all said and done? $1k-2k? Not worth it, man. You can find jobs closer to home that would pay you that much.

3. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Up here we can handle big snows. I wouldnt bother. Its nothing like the DC area.

4. UpstateDzlGuy

UpstateDzlGuy Senior Member

I agree. Large storms around here are the norm, well most years anyway. Not to mention there are plow trucks all over the place around here. Chris

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Aaahhhh NY is not in New England New England is

MA, NH, ME, VT, CT, RI see NO NY. We dont want it :)

6. big acres

big acres Senior Member

crazy x2!....

7. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Haha.

Like said, I dont think any of (actual) New England will have any problem handling this snow... Were kind of used to it :p. So, leads me to believe New York can handle it to..

8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I've met several people who don't understand what New England is and what states it includes.

As far as driving that far to a place that doesn't think twice about a big storm....umm, no!

9. terraventure

terraventure Member

You must think New England is in the south or something we are all perfectly capable of handling two plus feet of snow. I would rather not have to but we are quite capable unlike the mid atlantic. Just about every truck with four wheel drive around here has a plow mounted. Actually there are probably more plows than trucks. I personally have two plows and one truck.

10. Harleychvy

Harleychvy Senior Member

I wouldn't do it. First, like everyone else has said, we're well equipped in the North East for big storms. Second, I headed down to Maryland a few weeks ago with no real set contacts, I didn't drop the blade once. It was a expensive gamble.

11. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

You are one crazy guy if you do!!!!:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

12. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

A 24 inch dumping wouldn't phase us here. We have more than enough equipment to take care of it and would have the whole place, (roads, lots, drives) completely cleaned and salted within 24 hours or less of the storm. Don't waste your time. Even if a company loses equipment, most of us have contacts with other companies to help us out. I would bet you won't make a penny.

13. jb3nh

jb3nh Member
    from eastern

Good Evening Chevskeezy85,
    I hope you are reading these posts before hittin the road. We have 2 Seasons here in New England.. Winter and 4th of July. After 17 or so generations the natives have gotten pretty good and well equipped at handling major snow fall. I'd personally advise against the journey, especially this late in the season, without any solid leads or work lined up. That's just my 2cents. . Good luck
    (or if you just have to do it anyway, come on by for some wicked good fish chowder and a couple clam cakes)

14. tuna

tuna Senior Member

To quote you"yes you are an idiot to do this"

15. chevskeezy85

First: To those of you that actually gave me your advise...Thank you!
    Second: I live in the middle of the country, never been up around that area and really dont give a $*!T what is really considered New England. I was just asking for some opinions not a flaming. But you guys are probably the same ones that think us here in nebraska live in sod houses on a farm and drive tractors everywhere and smoking out of a corn cob pipe.

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Nebraska - that's the West Coast, right?

17. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

SO... if i say I'm going to the south west to work on a corn farm in the state of Nebraska. and someone corrects me on the location of NE (you know what you learn in school) I'll call them a flaming a** hole for pointing out that NE is NOT in the south west.

And you got your opinions anyways didn't you.

18. chevskeezy85

Dont believe i ever once called you a flaming a** hole. And if you are going to give me crap about learning stuff in school, its SOUTHWEST... not south west.

19. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Just my opinion, too far to travel, and they have the equipment to handle storms. We went to Baltimore but there are many differences.....they got absolutely dumped on in a very short time. They dont have the equipment to handle the snow they got. Lastly, thats just too far to travel. Baltimore is about 6ish hours from us and if it was much further I wouldn't have gone. There is A LOT to prepare for when traveling, trust me. And not having any contacts...? that just spells waste of time to me. Just my 2 cents. Stop by in Erie Pa I might be able to use ya.

20. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

Chev I think these guys are trying to save your time and money We have the equipment and people to handle this storm. We dont always use soft touchy feely talk to express ourselves Have some thick skin and take the advise.