1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

headache rack

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by 99zr2, Oct 1, 2007.

1. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

finaly got my headache rack done I have been working on. Looks good but havent had a chance to try the lights yet beacuse they arnt hooked up in the cab. Trying to decide on were to mount my switches and how exactly I am going to get the wires into the cab.
    Anyone have any good acsess points to go through?

general 185-1.jpg

2. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

another one

general 186-1.jpg

3. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

one more from the front

general 188-1.jpg

4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

On my truck dad and I drilled a hole in the back of the cab and ran the wires into there and then along the edge of the cab until we got under the dash, my two switches are on the right side of my steering wheel under the guages. I'm not sure where there are extra spots for stuff on the nbs trucks.
    The backrack looks good, you may want to think about adding a set of lights facing straight backwards or at least run an extra set of wires for them when you run the wires for the two current lights and the light bar.

5. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

Thanks Mark, I got a tralier wire plug for all the lights os if I got to take it off I can with ease. It was an idae I got on this site. I used one wire for the two I got up there all ready, and now I got two spares if I need them.
    I also got two two more of those lights on my bumper. On the top near the outside edge so the gate will still close.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

6. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

i see alot of those style bars around now like on alan a meyers trucks (if you guys have them around you) and i like them. i have the full back rack on my truck and would just prefer yours to hold my lights....yours looks really good

7. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

nice and clean dude !!!!!!!!!

8. Lawn Care Plus

Lawn Care Plus Senior Member

Is the beacon mounted on your roof or the rack?

Tim

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Looks like the back of the cab to me.

10. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

I just hooked up my back rack about a month ago. I put 2 working lights and 2 Whelen LIN3's on it. What i did was run the wires threw the vent in the back of the cab. That way i didnt hafta drill any holes, its also easy access with a coat hanger. I wired the strobes to the roof beacon switch that comes factory on the snow plow prep package. The working lights are wired to the cargo lamp switch. I didnt want the hassel of extra switches and not having a good spot to put them. I also connected the wires with a quick disconnect right outside the cab so whenever i wanna take it off it easy. I used a 4 prong trailer plug (male and female). Check out my pics...
    http://www.plowsite.com/showpost.php?p=400754&postcount=35

11. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Strong Work Man.

12. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Get the factory GM aux switch that goes in the 4 pod housing. You know- the housing area with the air-bag off switch. You can fit a few switches in there.

As for wiring- find a hole in your fire-wall between the engine and the cab. Just look up around the foot area of the drivers seat. Look for wires coming in already and possible room around them - there wont be any empty holes for you probably.

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Looks really good. Look underneath your truck there should be some rubber plugs near the sides of the back doors. I have a cc so not sure about the ec. You can drill a hole in the rubber plug then silicone it, then take your door jams off and run the wires up to the front of the cab. I would just keep the trailer plugs untill you want to take your bar off and then put them on. I put them on mine and never took it off and thats why the lights stopped working. The less connections, the better it is, JMO. Good luck.

14. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

Thanks guys This is the best site to show off your stuff. Lots of nice people with great ideas.
    O6 boss, did you have to remove the back seat (if you have an EXT cab) or is it just a straight shot through the cab in a easy spot? Can you take any pics of the in side. I think that I saw your post on this aleady that is what gave me the idea foe the tralier plug. I was likeing the switch location that someone had in the cubbie hole in the headliner.
    Jason do they sell single switches or is it a whole pod?

15. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

Oh yes the becon is mounted on the cab. I bought it from my local Fisher dealer for my ZR2 I had. It came as a Fisher Light but it is a Whelin (spelling probly wrong) double rotator.

16. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

06hd, you have the exact same work lights as I have, My backrack I got used (2 or 3 years) with 4 work lights and a cb antenna for $40 at an auction. I took two of the worklights off and the antenna, repainted it, rewired it (before it was a real hillbily job) and stuck it on my truck. Probably the best $40 I have spent on something for my truck.

17. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

yeah ive got ext cab. didnt hafta remove the seat. Just folded it up and pull the carpet down a little. Its really a straight shot but use a coat hanger to make it easier...the plastic is a little tough.

18. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

OK thanks Boss:drinkup:

19. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Run the wires under the cab, and then through the firewall.

20. kandklandscape0

kandklandscape0 Senior Member

99 zr2, i LOVE that bumper sticker about welfare! where did you find that at? i see them all the time now!